i dunno why, but recently i was musing about the 8mm Mauser round, and how it might be fun to have an AK-pattern rifle as an inexpensive and robust rifle for stuff like deer and elk. (or even -once i figure out how to do this- possibly rebore it slightly to 8mm-06.)

since the Zastava M76 was chambered for the 8mm Mauser round, it was my inspiration. now obviously, like most large-caliber AKs, the M76 is 1-2k$, so i couldn't simply pick one up cheap and go from there. there are decently priced kits, but they require you to provide the receiver. (and yes, i know why...)

this got me to thinking... if I'm already providing the receiver, what could possibly be in the kit that i need? why not just do a custom build?

what do y'all think? is this doable? it would certainly be a fun project.

come to think of it, if I were to go that route, wouldn't the 30-06 Saiga be the way to go?

either way, i guess that's an aside. after scanning what's available on the net, if found one of two possible options: the milled M76 or M76-style receiver from Rapid Fire out of Ohio (which would be easier,) or the RPK/PSL-style receiver from NoDak of Idaho (which may be more interesting albeit more labor-intensive.)

nonetheless, my original question still stand, and i would like some advice....

...also, would i be better off going milled or stamped for this caliber?

If you want an M76 it's going to cost you. The receivers are MILLED and right now ORF is the only game in town at $500 for the receiver plus the kit. You do the math. They are great rifles though. If you want it on the cheap you could probably start with a Saiga .308 or maybe one of the new Saiga .308 v21 or even a Saiga 100 in 30-06. Get a new barrel and take it from there. Over on gunco there is a special forum for converting AKs to other calibers with some guys there that really know their stuff. I'm sure they could help you out better. Good luck and let us see pics when you're done.

that's prety much what i planned on doing and why. Rapid Fire wants a buttload for the kits, or even just for the US milled M76 receiver. i would love it they offered a kit consisting of only the parts i couldn't get or fab (receiver, bolt, barrel, maybe a mag & cover,) but they want to bundle it up with furniture, standard ak parts, 4 mags, bayo, cleaner, strap, etc.

its funny you mention gunco; i've actually been following their work on it, but am not yet a member of their forum, so i can't see pictures of their progress. it looks like they're going at it from a couple of angles, but not the saiga30-06 angle. if i could mod a 30-06 saiga, that would be the easiest way i think. not glamorous, but it would essentially give me a 8mm-06 hunting-style rifle. (which is what i want in the end.)

new question then: if 8mm-06 is essentially a 30-06 case necked-up to accept an 8mm bullet, could any old 30-06 be easily modified to accept 8mm-06 (much in the same way that 8mm Mauser rifles were modded?)

• 5 months later...