Saiga 8 rd mag

How many us parts do I need to put into my saiga before I can use an eight round mag without going to jail?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but if memory serves you'd need 3 US parts if you use the std buttstock & don't convert it to pistol grip configuration.

Tomac

Thanks, if your correct than a front sight, a rear sight, and a buffer pad and I'm all set ? I really don't want a pistol grip or a folding stock. :eek:

Just to be clear you don't need to *add* 3 US parts, you need to *replace* 3 foreign parts w/US equivelants so your total foreign parts count is 10 or less. Just adding US parts accomplishes nothing. Replacing the fire control group (trigger, hammer, disconnector) would suffice but then you'd have to find someone to modify a US-made AK trigger to fit the stock Saiga action. Check out this thread:

What Can You Do With A Saiga?

Tomac

A buffer pad isn't a core "part" as listed by the ATF. Also just for argument's sake, it is an addition, not a replacement part so nothing is deducted from the "foreign" list. The front or rear sights are not listed as a countable "part" either by the ATF. If it was that easy, you could replace three retaining pins and call it done.

Right now, with the aftermarket parts available, you would have to replace the fire control group and that would automatically force you to change to a pistol grip. The FCG consists of 3 and you're done. You'll have to wait for US made parts like gas tubes or bolts to come out and be compatible with the Saiga-12 if your main purpose for making it 922r compliant is to use 8-round magazines.

Use a standard US FCG and perform the modifications outlined on this board for the trigger and hammer. After you're done, cut the trigger off so that you can use it in your non-pistol grip Saiga. You basically need to do some more cutting on the 'trigger' than the usual pistol grip conversion.

So it looks like my options are limited I'll have to real choice but to go with the pistol grip and some kind of new stock right :unsure: It's not that I have anything agianst pistol grips but I just wanted to leave the stock. My discressionary funds are some what limited. So I'll just have to save up and really trick out my Saiga. I have no intention of cutting off my barrel. I like it the way it is. Thanks for all your advice.

AAOK http://www.aa-ok.com/compli.htm has FCGs in stock & ships priority mail (fast service) Their FCG comes w/ the C washers to replace the shepards hook :rolleyes:

Theirs is also $8 cheaper than tapco & includes a US made pistol grip

You can call your order in & not jerk around w/ paypal

Edited by screaming eagle

You only need to replace 3 parts. Replace the fire control group with a US set as people have mentioned above. If you want to leave the stock you can... BUT you will need to cut off the portion of the US hammer that protrudes through the bottom of the receiver off so that it will fit in an unmodified Saiga.