Anybody install one of these before?

Found this on Tantal's website- Reinforcement plate that goes under the pistol grip. I'm still collecting parts for my S-12 conversion and was wondering if this would be worth it - moreso for getting the correct grip angle than increasing rigidity. Figure it would work well with my AK trigger guard and selector stop. Not sure I'm looking forward to welding though . . . and screws/rivets may not look too pretty

here's Tantal's description:

These are high quality reproductions of the original receiver reinforcing plate used on all European AKMS, AKS-74, AK-74M, and AK100 series folding stock rifles. They have never been available as a separate part from any vendor in the past, and we are very proud to offer them for sale to the serious collector. This plate is normally spot welded to the bottom of the receiver where the pistol grip attaches, and adds superior rigidity and stiffness to the feel of the firearm. This plate also makes these models cosmetically accurate because they angle the back of the trigger guard down and provide slightly more grip length.

PG1 & PG2 are made from high quality steel, and come in an original style anti-corrosion phosphated finish, per Russian specifications. Normally, this plate would not be sprayed black until the rifle was fully assembled. These can be spot welded as original, or attached in many other ways. The rear trigger guard strap rivet sandwiches the front of this plate to the receiver, and the rivet hole has already been made into the plate.

NEW! PG-2 is identical to the original PG1, but redesigned to be more exact in cosmetics to the plate used on the AKMS rifle. It is the earlier Soviet style with squared vertical tab and forward corners. It is finished in original style phosphate protective coating and ready for installation on your AKMS project!

post-9216-1201393560_thumb.jpg

Edited by caughtlikefire

that would be it

I went ahead and ordered one from AK Builder. I picked the Polish version which has 3 pre-drilled holes - figured I should be able to use 2 small screws at the back of the plate (opposite the trigger guard). Hope that was an ok choice.

thanks for the help!

Edited by caughtlikefire
I went ahead and ordered one from AK Builder. I picked the Polish version which has 3 pre-drilled holes - figured I should be able to use 2 small screws at the back of the plate (opposite the trigger guard). Hope that was an ok choice.
Just FYI: the two rear holes in that plate are used during this procedure: http://home.earthlink.net/~mwsjb/AKbuild3.htm

I suspect you won't have to worry about this, but knowledge is power.