The Brenneke black magic has always worked well for me in my other shotguns. I have not tried it in the Saiga but I would have to imagine they would perform just as well. I have used the Brenneke slugs in my S410 with great success against javelina.

Interestingly enough here is a link listing the 410 slug that mentions them working in the Saiga's

http://www.smokewagongear.com/p-229-brenne...gnm-3-slug.aspx

Edited by 6x6pinz

I've had no feed problems with anything, but I saw that Winchester SP hit 2" lower at 100 yds than the jhp's I had.

I'll try S&B and Wolf SP's this year for flight testing, but the 308 goes hunting again.

Incidentally, I found x39 V-Max steel-case at Cabela's.

What FACTORY load is a "best" for hunting whitetails? I don't want to reload for it because I won't shoot enough to justify the dies and brass.

The Best ???? Well that would be Extreme Shock fragmenting rounds designated "Kalashock" projectile for the 7.62x39 caliber. This stuff is the nastiest stuff you can buy as a civilian (not in all states) and will literally blow the guts out the cracks between the ribs of anything you shoot with it two legged or four. It does, however, do some meat damage above and beyond normal ammo and is expensive ($3.00 per a trigger pull) and sometimes difficult to find.

Now, as far as what will do nicely without being the very best stuff out there. Well that would be the heavier soft nose bullets. Basically you get two bullet weight catagories the 120-130 grain light and fast bullets and the heavier 150+ grain stuff which is just a pinch slower and IMHO "mushroom" more reliably. There are a couple different heavy soft point factory loads. Wolf makes one and then Cor-Bon makes the other not including the 160gr. offering from Extreme Shock.

Edited by turbo1889