Battle of the .30 Caliber Shorties!

Hi all, First post.

So I'm torn. I want a Saiga, (actually I want "many" Saigas, and can come up with several very valid reasons--in my mind--that I should own several variants) but I am at a bit of a loss as to which one to purchase first.

Here is some background to help everyone see where I'm coming from...

I live in the wonderful (ha) state of California, which makes it less-fun to own a gun. I currently own a CA compliant AR-15 (Stag M4 16" with U-15 stock for those who care), Yugo SKS, and Ruger PC4, in addition to hunting rifles, shotguns, pistols, etc. I'm not looking for another .223 right now. If I go the route of optics, they will go on my AR or on a Saiga .308 long-barrel (which will be purchased later...), so that's also not a consideration right now.

I want my first Saiga to be a 16" barrel, will only use factory (ie: 10rd or less) magazines, iron sights, non-converted, and will be a "car-gun" as well as a "go-to-gun". The weapon will be part of my "live-kit", the purpose of which is to get me by if I'm stuck away from home in the event of a major earthquake, etc. (I work 60 miles from home and in the event of an emergency may be stuck at work for days at a time.) My AR15 and SKS will stay at home with my wife, who knows how to use them.

Given the above, I am considering the 7.62x39 and .308 models with the 16" barrel.

I feel the .308 offers more power (though less-so with the short barrel) and has more commercially available ammunition options such as Hornady TAP and other CQB-friendly rounds. I think this might offer a bit more versatility than x39mm ammo. .308 rounds such as Federal Match offer more inherent accuracy than the x39mm though again, without optics I don't know how much an advantage that will be. I am concerned about excessive recoil (not fear of pain, as I have many heavy-recoiling long-guns, more of a concern regarding follow-up shots and multi-target engagement) and reliability. (I know the AK system is very reliable but how does this translate to varying loads (light CQB-type vs. heavier match grade) in the .308 caliber.)

The x39mm has the advantage of "every-time" reliability, cheaper ammunition, and lower recoil, as well as 2 addl. rounds in factory mags. I currently have Wolf "Black-Box" FMJ and HP rounds. I figure that there are less commercially available rounds and those "high-tech" ones that are available are probably more expensive since most people simply opt for the mil-spec stuff. I have heard that in the shorter barrels, the .308 looses a significant amount of velocity and it's advantage over the x39mm is less significant. I fear excessive penetration in the x39mm due to the lack of specialized rounds at an affordable enough price to test them. I figure that even the 7.62x39mm hollow-point rounds won't fragment at the velocities generated from a 16" barrel. Though not a primary concern given my criteria, reduced penetration is important to me, particularly around my house.

The main reason for this long-winded (first) post is to spark discussion among those who know more about these cartridges and ballistics in general. I know lots about handguns but significantly less-so about rifles. I'd like this purchase to be as informed as possible and I appreciate all replies. So what do you think is the better of the two rounds to go with out of a 16" barrel?

Well, first off the difference between the two bullets is a chunk of lead the weight of a .22 LR bullet. 122 grains in the x39, 168 ish for the .308. both are .30 caliber bullets.

if you want ease of ammo attainment go .308 they are available at any walmart.

if you want cheaper ammo go X39, but ya gotta buy wolf online and pay a lot up front for a large quantity.

Both saigas have very little recoil as they are both gas operated and BOTH Saigas are going to give you "every time" reliability.

The .308 is going to be more expensive to shoot in the long run, but for what you are doing, it will be YOUR CHOICE...

longer range with 308, slightly more recoil, more expensive shells, or cheaper ammo, less range, more ammo for the same price.

you MIGHT get better accuracy out of the .308 with better bullets... as the wolf stuff in X39 will be like 4 MOA at 100 yards...

Its really going to be your call on what you feel you gotta have to get your specific job done... both will do it and do it well... which one is a little better is your call...

:smoke:

I would side with the .308 with 10 round mags to optimize power wise, although with a 16" barrel, possabilty of firing in close quarter(car maybe), and a possability that I may do some walking to get to destination which translates to carring ammo,..... I probably lean toward the x39mm round.