Trouble zeroing RedDot

I picked up an AK QD scope mount cheap and I put an old Simmons 30mm reddot on the mount, and the mount on my S12. Took it to the range and cannot zero it. At 25yds I'm hitting the dirt, even with the elevation screw turned all the way up.

I can't think of anything I'm doing wrong. I mean there's a picatinny rail and two screws to mount the redDot. But, since I can screw up the moving parts of a railroad spike, I figured I'd ask for advice here.

I picked up an AK QD scope mount cheap and I put an old Simmons 30mm reddot on the mount, and the mount on my S12. Took it to the range and cannot zero it. At 25yds I'm hitting the dirt, even with the elevation screw turned all the way up.

I can't think of anything I'm doing wrong. I mean there's a picatinny rail and two screws to mount the redDot. But, since I can screw up the moving parts of a railroad spike, I figured I'd ask for advice here.

I've seen that when the mount was crooked on a rifle. Sometimes it's the mount. Sometimes I've seen a scope not seated all of the way into the mounts so it was canted up or down. If it's one of the side mounts have adjustment to adjust the cant of the optics. That might be worth trying if you don't have something mounted incorrectly.

Thanks. I'm hoping that's all it is. Range time is hard to find, so I'm hoping to come up with options so I can try different things while I'm there. But I think you're right, it is probably that the scope might just be mounted wrong in the mount. Thanks again.

In my experience really erratic performance is often caused by either a bad scope, or by a loose mount. Consistent performance which is off by quite a bit is often caused by incorrect mounts, mounts which are not true to the bore, or incorrect installation where something is canted. I've seen scopes which were severely canted because the rings were different heights. I've seen them canted because one ring wasn't in the notch properly. I've seen mounts which just pointed the scope in the wrong direction.

This one doesn't have rings, its just the RedDot on the picatinny mounted with two screws. In fact, there is the scope and the clamp that the two screws hold onto. I'm gonna turn the clamp upside down and see if that might be the problem. I don't remember which way was up when it was on the other weapon system.