good price for a 7.62x39 in long island ny?

hey everybody.. first post

i've been thinking about getting an ak/rpk-style rifle for awhile, and was trying to decide between a saiga or a yugo

after absorbing all the info i could from this forum...i'm pretty sure i'm gonna be getting a saiga and either getting a conversion done or attempting it myself.

the problem is, the only place i know of in nassua/suffolk county that sells saigas (T&T in seaford) has stock 7.62x39's going for $375 and a converted rifle on the rack for over $700.

is anyone from the area that knows of any place selling them for a more reasonable price?

if i have to i'll get one shipped from classic arms or centerfire, but i'd rather pay a few bucks more (within reason) and check it out first.

One thing that I can say about T&T is that Marty may be a little rash at times but he does have a good business head on his shoulders and is usually willing to negotiate on price--

With T&T I found it especially helpful if you put an amount of ammo on the counter and say that you want the Saiga for X-dollars like Y-place is selling them for. If he cannot do it politely put the ammo back on the shelf and say you unfortunatly won't be needing it and thank him for his time. Money talks...Cash is King. I got mine from him for under 3 bills and then I had him cut me a break on a Plano hardcase.

I think that Colosseum Guns would carry them too but they were always more expensive than T&T.

Good luck, let us know how you make out.

If I recall correctly, the going rate for transfers out there on Long Island was around $50.00 for anything that got shipped in!!! $25 for face to face. The transfers and shipping costs were why I bought locally.

As a side note, Ive moved from the Island and out of NY since but I hope that you found the above helpful.

thanks for the welcome, and the replies.

so it seems thats the only place around where i could pick one up without getting it shipped in.

as soon as i have enough extra cash i'll try talking them down to closer to $300, which is about what i'd be paying with the transfer fee to have one delivered

(yeah transfers are around $50 at most places i've been to)

again, thanks. i'm sure i'll be posting for more advice once i get my hands on a new saiga.

25 isnt bad but thats on the other side of bear mountain?? $10 just to cross the bridge round trip and $5.50 to cross the Hudson roundtrip...

The transfer situation on Long Island really is quite a shame/scam......its cause they know no one wants to leave the island to get a transfer. Its too damn expensive to cross all the bridges. Nice looking out though Taurus. I once got a transfer done at a little shop in the Catskills that was near a place I would camp at.

thanks for the heads up tarus. but like moxie said, thats a bit of a trip and tolls and gas will practically nullify the $ saved. plus i'd have to bring it through nyc which is something i'd like to avoid.

especially since i'm a nyc resident (i keep my smle and .22 outside the city in suffolk county with family)

i also dont drive (sad i know... i grew up in brooklyn and always used the subway) so any trip would have to be with a friend i talk into driving with me.

my girlfriend is from l.i. and still keeps a car out there so anyplace local wouldnt be a problem.

thanks for the info though.