Please help with Polish Tantal

I dont know anything about the barrels century is using, but this does sound unusual. I dont know about Century specificly, but most of the US made AK barrels are made by Green Mountain, who has a stellar reputation. the barrel ban does complicate things significantly for companies like century. before you go so far as to replace the barrel i would check to see if there is any obvious marking on the muzzle face, if its been properly crowned, or where the gas port is drilled, or if there are any markings on the inside edges of the flash hider.

I dont know of anyone who has a tantal specific barrel other than as a component of a full kit, which sounds to me like alot of money to spend on rifle you already paid for. you could pick up another barrel assembly from another rifle, and put it on (providing the barrel diameter is the same) I know Tantal has a military AK-74 barrel assembly for about $130. Kvar is another site to check. but of course those wont be Tantals.

If you did want to change the barrel, i would recommend finding a complete assembly, either by itself, or with a kit (can always use spare parts, right?) not sure where you might find a kit with a barrel, maybe on gunbroker or the like. Florida gun works has them, but ive never heard much good about them, and have never done business with them myself.

Taking the barrel out is pretty easy, just knock out the barrel retaining pin from either side with a punch or press, and push the barrel out with a punch or a press. To put a new barrel in is just as easy, if it doesnt have a barrel pin notch in it, headspace before pinning it and drill through the barrel pin hole and replace the pin, and if it does have the notch either fill it in, or headspace from the bolt and locking lugs.

while im sure someone does have barrels available, by themselves, as all the current tantal kits are coming sans barrel, in order to reuse the parts you have, you are going to have to press off the FSB GB and RSB and then press them onto a new barrel, that may or may not have the gas port drilled. This can be tricky, with or without a good press. And to make things worse, im sure any barrel you do find will be from the same batch of barrels

Hope some of that helps, and good luck.

from what I have read they put 5.56 barrels on these and others have had the same bullet tumble you describe. Others report they offer to replace barrel or give a refund. I would get them to fix it if you like the rifle. I have one with the orginal barrel and it is a great shooter.

good luck

IMG_1294.jpg

Insist that they fix or fefund. They have offered it to others. The ammo won't make any difference. I shoot 70 grain out of mine with no problems.

Yes I painted it myself with Alumahyde II matte black. My receiver is a standard AK receiver so the tantal selector wasn't used. I mounted the optics rail using rivets.

"I shoot 70 grain out of mine with no problems".

Have you ever shot black box wolf 60 grain?

when I used wolf 70 grain military classic it didn't tumble, I only had 20 rounds of 70 grain so I can't say I won't happen at all with 70 grain, but with 60 grain every single round fired tumbled.