how to remove stock from 7.62X39

Hey guys, sorry for another stupid newb (to saiga's, ak's, and mechanics in general) question, but how do you remove the stock from the receiver on a 7.62X39? It seems like all you'd to do is to remove the two screws, one at the top and one at the bottom of the receiver, and, possibly the screw at the bottom of the stock where your trigger-finger hand goes. Well, I removed all those three screws and applied some force trying to separate the stock from the receiver, but it stills feels very tightly attached. Are the two or three screws all that's holding the stock to the receiver, and, if so, what do I do to get the sucker off (would I hit it with a mallet to try to loosen it up or spray wd40 on it?) Anyway, I'm not very mechanically inclined, so any help a more competent individual would like to lend would be definitely appreciated. I'm trying to achieve 922r compliance by using U.S.-made hi caps (3 parts) and a U.S. made stock. Thank in advance. BTW, I just picked up my Saiga last week, took it to the range, and, boy oh boy, do I like it and bet I'll get .223 and .308 brethren.

Hey guys, sorry for another stupid newb (to saiga's, ak's, and mechanics in general) question, but how do you remove the stock from the receiver on a 7.62X39? It seems like all you'd to do is to remove the two screws, one at the top and one at the bottom of the receiver, and, possibly the screw at the bottom of the stock where your trigger-finger hand goes. Well, I removed all those three screws and applied some force trying to separate the stock from the receiver, but it stills feels very tightly attached. Are the two or three screws all that's holding the stock to the receiver, and, if so, what do I do to get the sucker off (would I hit it with a mallet to try to loosen it up or spray wd40 on it?) Anyway, I'm not very mechanically inclined, so any help a more competent individual would like to lend would be definitely appreciated. I'm trying to achieve 922r compliance by using U.S.-made hi caps (3 parts) and a U.S. made stock. Thank in advance. BTW, I just picked up my Saiga last week, took it to the range, and, boy oh boy, do I like it and bet I'll get .223 and .308 brethren.

There are 3 screws to remove. 1 one the tang, 1 on the bottom, and 1 under the recoil spring. Once the screws are off you may need to tap it out. Welcome to the forum and welcome to Saiga.

Edited by Superhawk138

Superhawk138, I appreciate the welcome and the info. I'm basically a pistol guy and don't know too much about rifles, so I'm assuming a rifle's 'tang' is the part of the receiver that extends into the stock (which contains the top screw in my description). So, I take that out, and the screw directly below the tang's screw - I get that part. Now, the screw "under the recoil spring" has me stumped. Do I have to take off the receiver cover to locate this screw. I did take off the receiver cover and looked under what a pistol guy would call a guide rod and spring, but I saw no screw. Am I missing something or am I so stupid I should just take the gun to the gun shop (which I am a good customer of) and let those guys separate stock from receiver.

That recoil spring will slide forward... and up and out...

Go to the 410 section and read my post stickied to the top about field stripping and cleaning...

HERE:

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=11539

READ that... even though its for the 410/shotguns, MOST of it will match up... at least the receiver parts will...

Once you have that spring put of the way... the last screw will become obvious.

You dont need to take it to a gun shop... if you do you will feel stupid when he has it apart in 3 seconds... and you think to yourself... DUH.. that was too easy... Cause yes.. it is that easy. :up:

Good luck... you will get it... and if not, you are in the right place for HELP with getting it!! :up:

:smoke:

IndyArms, thanks so much for the pointer to your field stripping and cleaning post and your vote of confidence as to a simpleton's ability to perform the procedure. Will give it a try first thing tomorrow and am expecting good results, and if I do fail it's good to know that I'm in "the right place for HELP." I've an ms in computer science from a state school in FL (top grades, not smart just studied 2X more than the the next guy), so I'm not a total chimp, but I've never done anything mechanically and don't have natural ability at anything so I'm not overly confident venturing into gun tinkering (for you it's straightforward, for me it's terra incognita.) I appreciate the encouraging response you've given to an admitted dumbell.

Thanks again, IndyArms for your pointer to your post on field stripping and cleaning procedure. Yeah, now I see what you mean about how painfully obvious the location of the that third screw is. The stock has been duly removed, all is well, and I'm poised for 922r compliance thanks to the good folks at Saiga-12.com.