New S20 owner

Picked this up at the gun show Saturday... IZ-106 (S20 with 22" threaded barrel), with BHO, new in box with all the usual accessories.

In all, the selection at the show wasn't the greatest for AK-variant stuff. I saw lots of AR stuff and a *great* selection of pistols, but only a few vendors with AKs. By my count, there were only four Saigas in the building including the one I bought (also present: one each of .223, x39, and .308, none really priced to move).

On to the pics... :)

3563.jpg

3559.jpg

3561.jpg

3556.jpg

And one with the pistolas... Para-Ordnance LTC Stainless and Glock 19.

I'll do a PG conversion + ACE stock eventually, but not before I shoot the hell out of it as-is. :D

Thanks Gary!

My next Saiga will probably be a 7.62x39.... but that won't be for a little while. I'll just have to trudge along with the lowly S20 until then... heh heh. :)

He's right. I've had my S20 for a little while now and just got done converting it and now I want an S12 :( Although I wouldn't mind doing a conversion on a x39 either :D I'll probably get the x39 before I get the S12. They go for 279$ brand new from the shop I go to :D

And yes, congratulations on your purchase. It will bring you lots of fun and good hunts if you're a hunter :P

So, I finally ran my Saiga 20 today! It ran great with both magazines for 100rds or so, but started developing some last round FTF issues with my wedge-modded 3" magazine (made a plastic wedge via soldering iron, and JB-welded to follower). No issues at all with the factory 2-3/4" magazine... so that settles it, I'll be buying more 2-3/4" mags for 100% reliability, rather than jacking around with modifying 3" ones. I'm sure I can get the 3" one right with enough WECSOG-ing, but it's not worth the trouble to buy more of them since I plan to fire 2-3/4".

Other than the issues with the modded 3" mag, the gun fed great, went bang every time, and ejected like a CHAMP. I've read plenty of posts here indicating that S20s need a 100+ round break-in before using bird shot, but mine ate everything up and spat it out -- quite far at times (think shell casings flying though the rafters of the roof above the firing line on their way to landing 20 feet away). All rounds were fired on gas setting #2.

I also brought the G19 out for a little fun. Friends love shooting the Glock, and I don't mind whoring it out to anyone who's safe with a pistol and brings their own 9mm FMJ to run through it. The 1911 sat this one out serving as the carry gun. We were shooting at a public range, which means I prefer to hold one of the guns back... "public" and all.

Overall: Glock ate 250 rounds 115gr FMJ; Saiga ate 10 rounds #3 buck, 10 rounds HP slug, 50 rounds 7.5 heavy dove, and 100 rounds 6.0 heavy dove (all Remington loads); friend's Mossberg Maverick 12ga ate 50rds 7.5 heavy dove; another friend's Baby Eagle 9mm ate 150rds.

This was all done at the pistol/rifle range, just punching holes in paper. I wanted to establish the gun's reliability with chosen ammo and send some downrange with the new toy.... :D

Firing impressions: there is little to no recoil with the S20. No perceptible recoil difference between Remington buck, slugs, and bird shot. Follow-up shots are QUICK, as the gun barely has any muzzle rise and the action is damn fast. I need some bigger magazines... 5 rounds can go downrange in a hurry. This Russian contraption gives my 1911 a run for its money as my "favorite gun".

Next time, I think we'll go back out to my friend's land in the country and toss up some clays. Even with gas prices the way they are, it's less expensive to go out there and shoot than to pay range fees.... plus we can shoot more interesting targets and have a laid-back day of fun. :)

Edited by James92TSi
  • 2 weeks later...

HI EVERYBODY!!!!!!!

100_1307.jpg

More fun at the range last weekend. The weapons:

- AR-15 (don't know what brand, was a friend of a friend's gun)

- Mossberg Maverick 12ga

- Saiga-20

- Glock 19

- Benelli M2 20ga (brand new - popped the cherry on this one!)

100_1303.jpg

Colin's dad loading up his M2

100_1311.jpg

Colin shooting his dad's M2

100_1304.jpg

Me and my Saiga-20

100_1305.jpg

Finger :)

100_1313.jpg

Step 1: ragged hole. Step 2: cut it down!

100_1310.jpg

Colin's dad trying out my G19

100_1302.jpg

Dan shooting AR-15

100_1308.jpg

Me shooting AR-15. Was actually my first time firing one... and yes I realize now that I wasn't using the bench rest properly. First time shooting a rifle from a bench since Boy Scouts! :lol:

Benelli M2 was nice. I guess my tastes aren't "refined" enough, as I still like the $400 Saiga better than the $1600 M2. But it was still cool to see what the heck a shotgun that expensive shoots like. It's very crisp and accurate... excellent build quality. Downsides: it doesn't cycle as fast as the Saiga, only 2 round mag capacity, and as a guy who started out with pistols, I generally prefer detachable mags to tube mags.

The AR-15 was a hoot. I just ran one 30rd mag through it at 50 yards... with an ACOG scope (which was NICE). Perhaps I'll get an AR someday.... after I convert the S-20, and pick up an S-7.62 and convert that..... heh. :)

As for the Saiga... no failures of any kind. I've changed it over to gas setting #1 and it still gobbled up and spat out the loads I was using (Rem heavy dove, Rem #3 buck, and a few mags of the Win value pack rounds that Colin's dad brought).

(edited to fix pics)

Edited by James92TSi
  • 1 month later...

UPDATE TIME!

My conversion parts came in yesterday, and I wasted no time firing up the ACME tools last night. From the Wile E. Coyote School of Gunsmithing.....

3622.JPG

Stock Saiga-20 (22" barrel version) and conversion parts

3623.JPG

Closeup of conversion parts. Everything is from Dinzag, except the PG which is from MAA.

3624.JPG

Field stripped & buttstock removed

3625.JPG

"Permanent" sporter trigger pins removed... along with sporter trigger, linkage, and linkage spring / FCG retaining wire

3626.JPG

Now my table looks like this (oh yeah, took the handguard off too)

3627.JPG

Receiver with fire control group & bolt hold open still installed

3628.JPG

After drilling the peened ends of the sporter pins off, this is what's left behind

3629.JPG

No more sporter pins!

3630.JPG

Rest of internal parts removed (FCG, selector, BHO). Now receiver is ready for much drilling, dremeling, and filing

3631.JPG

Looks kinda naked, doesn't it?

3632.JPG

No pre-cut pistol grip hole! Sadface. Standard trigger hole is there, though. PG hole is not a huge deal (famous last words)

3633.JPG

Trigger guard is off - ready to be reused later in the conversion.

3634.JPG

Here's pretty much everything I've taken off the gun so far (hammer spring is elsewhere)

3635.JPG

Still a bit more work to do to get the sporter plate off of the receiver. 2 more rivets to grind down / maim / kill with ACME products.

3636.JPG

NEW HOTNESS - Dinzag Arms fire control group (and that hammer spring)

That's where work begins today... after lunch. :)