New Member - New Saiga 7.62 Owner - Couple Questions

Hello, everyone - glad to be here. I just bought a Saiga 7.62 from my brother over the weekend. He bought it new and had it for about 6 months. He was unable to find the manual, but I found one online. Anyway, I have a couple questions - I did a search and looked through the FAQ's, but couldn't find what I was looking for. If it's there and I missed it, please feel free to post the link... :) Also, I know a little bit about firearms, but next to nothing about the AK style, so I apologize in advance for my lack of knowledge or incorrect use of terms.

Anyway, he said that he recently broke the rifle down and when he put it back together, it wouldn't fire in semi-auto mode. Apparently it has to be fed manually and said it "shoots like a single shot bolt-action". He thinks he may have put it back together incorrectly with respect to the gas chamber? Would breaking it down and putting it back together correctly fix the issue, or is it likely that he messed something up? And if so, what should I look for?

My second question concerns the legality of the Saiga 7.62 in Illinois (not in Chicago, Aurora, etc.). I searched the gun laws and as far as I can tell, the stock Saiga 7.62 is legal. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks in advance for any help. It is GREATLY appreciated!

Yes, all stock Saiga's are 922r compliant. It's when you throw on a pistol grip, or a mag that holds more than 10 rounds, that 922r comes into play. I have no idea about Illinois gun laws though.

As far as it becoming a bolt-action after breaking it down, that sounds weird. How far did he break it down? A regular "I'm gonna tear it down to clean it" break down, obviously shouldn't have an end-affect of becoming a single-shot. So the bolt isn't even coming back when it fires off a round? Definitely sounds like a gas problem, if so. Tear it down, and see if there is anything plugging the hole in the gas block (eventhough I can't imagine something getting in there from tearing it down that would block the gas that much, as to stop the gun from cycling).

Maybe someone else has ran into this problem and can offer up some more advice.

"Edit: 22-shooter beat me to the punch while I was typing this."

So you are saying that when you fire it the bolt does not cycle? At all....

But that it cycles fine by hand.

That sounds like a critical malfunction that would be on the level of a completely blocked gas port. Since you say that it functions by hand the gas block would be my only suggestion. I theorize that there is something plugging it up.

After you have unloaded the rifle and field stripped the bolt//gas piston out of it use the multi-tool that came with the rifle to operate the lever on the right hand side of the rear sight block. This will now allow you to remove the gas tube. With a bore light or a flash light check to see if there is foreign debris in there. If you cannot see anything use a flexible "cleaning rod" or something flexible like a small length of wire to poke through block. You want to observe if it makes its way into the barrel and if anything falls into the barrel. Inspect the barrel and gas block with the flashlight again.

If that doesn't work then you have got me stumped. :unsure:

Edited by moxie1c

Just a little update. I did a thorough cleaning last night - I didn't find anything blocking the gas port. I did notice that the gas tube was REALLY dirty and had a lot of buildup and even some rust. The piston didn't slide real smoothly in there. So, I cleaned the hell out of the tube and the piston moves pretty smooth now. From what I can tell (without firing it) everything seems to be in perfect working order. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, as the closest outdoor range is about a half hour away. Hopefully this weekend I'll get a chance. But I'm hoping all the cleaning solved the problem...

Just a little update. I did a thorough cleaning last night - I didn't find anything blocking the gas port. I did notice that the gas tube was REALLY dirty and had a lot of buildup and even some rust. The piston didn't slide real smoothly in there. So, I cleaned the hell out of the tube and the piston moves pretty smooth now. From what I can tell (without firing it) everything seems to be in perfect working order. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, as the closest outdoor range is about a half hour away. Hopefully this weekend I'll get a chance. But I'm hoping all the cleaning solved the problem...

I would of thought for sure something was in the gas port. It seems weird that you could cycle it by hand, but the force of the gas wasn't enough to move the piston through that crud. Post back after you try to fire it.