7.62 Failing to Feed Problems

I bought a like new converted 7.62x39. The gun looks like it has not been shot. It came with a 20 round mag, and I bought 30 Hungarian mags. The ramp is screwed on, so it must have been drilled and tapped.

Went to the range today. Out of 180 rounds at least 30 jammed or did not feed. Some stovepiped, some time the bullet did not load at all. My guess is that the mag needs to seat higher, or less likely the part of the bolt that pushes the next round in needs to be longer.

How do I troubleshoot and fix this problem.

Thanks,

Mark

Took another look at it. With the dust cover off, I noticed that the mag could be pushed up about a sixteenth of an inch. I put two strips of Gorilla tape on top of the mag release/catch. It hand cycled flawlessly. I will take it to the range as soon as I can and test it.

Is this a problem others have experienced? If it is the problem, what is the better solution than tape?

Hello, skifast

Sounds like too much material was removed from the mag catch when it was being mod'ed for the AK mag's.

I recently had a somewhat similar problem with a new .39 (as opposed to a .51, they're both 7.62 Saiga's) when there was an excess amount of material left inside of the mag catch housing. The AK mag would not extend far enough up into the receiver for the bolt to catch the back of the case, it would just scrape the side since the cartridge is sitting on an angle.

When I finally figured out what the problem was (with the help of the capable listers here) and removed the offending material, the mag catch was then way too short, even though I hadn't taken very much off.

When I replaced it with a new one from K-Var I did little more than polish it with a Dremel to get it the right length, now it works fine.

BTW, if you do wind up having to replace it, be sure and get the pivot pin as well, your old one will be beaten into submission. The best way I found to flare the new one was to put a ball bearing on each end (after it is installed through the holes) held on with grease, and stick it in a vise to squeeze the ends together and force the ball bearings to flare the ends. Go easy, it doesn't take much. I think I used like 5/16" bearings.

Respectfully posted,

guido2 in Houston