I have a UTG 2 rail with quick release but I'm researching a scope right now so I haven't put it to good use. It does fit pretty solid and within about a 1/4" air gap above the rear cover. rail looks very close to the centerline. Seems pretty decent quality. I would love to know what is the lowest profile mount out there for the S12.

I have a Belarus high mount that should be delivered in a week from blackjack buffers. It is supposed to have a 1" gap to allow the use of the iron sights. looks like a tank from the picture. Ill edit this post with an update when it arrives.

Either can be had for under $50. Be sure the ones you are considering will fit a Saiga. If I'm not mistaken, there are 2 different types of side mounts found on the Kalashnikov design.

Edited by Thor's Hammer

I like my side mount. It holds true and snaps off in a click for pheasant season which runs through deer season, then snaps on and is always on back paper at 100 yds again. A few shots at the range and I,m back in there again. I also wanted to keep the militant factor down on mine so no perm rail.