New 19" S-12 on the way....many months of waiting

Hi all,

After reading the forum a bit, about 20 hours in the last couple days, I am hoping a few people with experience can help me out with some decisions on converting my S-12 when it arrives with 2 AGP 10 rounders in about a week.

First I would like to do the pistol grip conversion. The items I'm looking at going with are:

1. The CAA UPG47 Pistol Grip (http://www.commandarms.com/product.asp?pID=153&cID=11), has the removeable/adjustable fore/aft rubber grips, also considering Ergo, Tapco or Tromix Saw, or the Ace Galil. Any reasons for one over the other?

2. I was also considering the Tromix or the RSA FCG. Are there any other FCGs I should consider. I like the idea of being able to adjust the reset/over travel on the RSA but I don't want to loose reliability. I've also read that you can adjust this with the Tromix modified G2 but I didn't know how difficult this is to adjust. I also read that the RSA FCG eliminates trigger slap but I don't know if $85 is worth removing this as I've never fired this weapon. Please advise.

3. I am considering the Krebs retainer plate in place of the shepards crook. Heard it drops right in. Any advise?

4. Also, should I use the Saigatech DIY steel guard (http://saigatechusa.com/) or the Tromix DIY, or should I just try to reuse the existing or maybe buy an AK-74 guard and use the standard PG nut and cut the receiver? Does using the nut provide a more secure hold to the gun or is there really no reason to use the nut with the DIY kits these days? Is the Tromix aluminum or steel? Also, the Saigatech has two styles. One is like the Tromix and the other says it's for a saw style PG. Will the Saw style work on any PG? It looks like it would be more sturdy. I would probably want to use these on the CAA PG. Check it out:

post-11220-1220764568.jpg

It also has the regular like the tromix:

post-11220-1220764635_thumb.jpg

5. I would like to add the extended mag realease but I haven't found one for sale anywhere. Where do I buy these from???

Anything I'm missing for the pistol grip conversion?

Next, I'm looking at switching out the stock to a folder or M4 collapsible w/ folding option in the future

1. I am really looking at going with the Ace M4 versus the skeleton. Are they relatively strong or should I consider the skeleton? I really like the idea of being able to adjust the LOP and I'm not sure what the length should be. But, I'm also worried about the recoil with the M4. If I were to get the skeleton I would go with the 1" pad but I don't know what the M4 pad looks like and I haven't read anything about anybody having one. Would I be better off with another recoil pad such as the limbsaver grindable? Any other suggestions for a stock or recoil pad? I liked that the Ace stocks are a decent price as I don't want to break the bank. I would probably put a folder on the M4 in the future. Also, what should I consider for the sling attachment? Any standard or accepted standard for these firearms?

2. I'm leaning toward the Ace internal block/Tromix receiver backplate. Should I consider the external block? I liked the idea of not taking off the tang but I didn't understand why it is on there in the first place if they don't make anything that can be used with the existing tang still on the receiver that doesn't make the gun look funny. I figured if I went with the M4 collapsible stock that I could use the external reciever block for now and figure out what I want to do in the future in terms of removing the tang and either using the internal block or the backplate. I would like to make it a folder so I would eventually have to go with the internal methods so it doesn't look funny. Also, with the Tromix backplate I would need to grind the back of the receiver by 2.5 degrees, correct. I'm assuming this is 2.5 degrees so that the bottom of the receiver is shortter than the top, correct? Should I also do this for the internal block or is this only required for the weld-on backplate? Is the weld-on backplate a more secure option and something I should really consider doing?

3. I would also like to get a folder in the future. I was looking at the Ace push button. How robust are these as I think I read that someone was having a problem with one.

Anything I'm missing with the stock conversion?

Coating

Figuring on doing the Molly coat in all black.

Future Items:

1. Tromix Galil Front Hand Guard

2. New Sights (would like to keep them to a minimum for skeet but also be able to use for slugs. Figured an adjustable aperature would work well for this)

3. Some type of muzzle break or flash hider

4. Some rails for a front grip and maybe a top rail, too.

5. LRBHO

Sorry about the long post. I haven't received my gun yet and I would like to start buying these items so I can do the conversion as soon as I receive the gun. I'm mostly indecisive because of all the available accessories out there. I have been reading for so long that I'm not sure what to go with as I have some preferences and some other items just seem so similar that I want what is considered the better item. You should see me in a restaraunt with a long menu. Much easier with just hambuger, hot dog, or fish sandwich for a selection....

Thanks everyone for all the great informative posts, links, and support. Let me know if there are any other recommendations or something you wish you would've done.

I picked up the UPG47 grip and didn't like it. I couldn't get it quite right, preferred the Saw grip instead.

I used the Saigatech AK47 conversion (the bottom one in your picture). Everything went real smooth. I don't think the Saw one will work for a regular grip because of the extra material, but don't have that version to compare. I really like the Tromix DIY version as it looks more streamlined/cleaner.

I tried the Ace external adapter block before the conversion. It is nice to see how the pistol grip feels with the stock FCG and you don't need to cut the tang. The only things I didn't like were how the gun balanced (front heavy) and it looked too stretched out (awkward) because the location of the FCG was too far back. It shot fine, but just didn't look right all stretched out.

Siaga_FX.jpg

If you are thinking about an M4 type stock and don't want to cut the rear tang, Vltor makes an M4 buffer tube that bolts right up to the Saiga using the stock tang:

AKsmall-600.jpg

I bolted one on and used a Vltor Emod stock with no problems. The best part is that it is not permanent when you switch to a folder later. There is an Ace internal block that you can use with the folder, but you will have to cut the tang. You may just want to go with that in the first place since they do sell an adapter (pignose) so that you can use it with an M4 stock.

If you NEED to go with all rails on the front, I'd look at the offerings from Chaos, who is a sponsor here.

I had swiped up one off of eBay for $215 a few weeks ago (thanks for the head's up Tritium!), but it took a little grinding to fit. My S12 weighs like a boat anchor, but it looks pretty evil. I don't have a camera, but it looks a little like this, but with no front AK sight and a Tromix shark brake instead:

bhi-sopmodak.jpg

Thanks Rastro. I checked out the Vltar M4 stock and it is a little pricey for me. I'm thinking I'm going to go with the Ace products for the stock and probably the Tromix Galil front hand guard. I will look at at a weld-on gas tube picatinny rail and a galil hand guard bolt-on rail in the future. I don't need any rails now anyway.

I figure I'll just go with the Tromix FCG and Saw Pistol grip. Is there any reason to go with another FCG?

I like the Tromix and the Saigatech guard so can someone recommend which seems more robust? Also, if I go with the Saigatech will I want the AK Steel or the AK Saw style for the Tromix Saw grip? The Saw style TG seems like it would be a little more robust if the PG fits on it. Should I also go with the Kreb's Retainer plate or will the Shepards Crook be fine?

What about Mag. Release Extension? Who sells these?

Now for the stock. I'm wanting the M4 stock but it doesn't seem to have a recoil pad. Should I go with the Ace M4 recoil pad or look into something else such as a limbsaver? Does the Ace M4 stock hold up well to the 12 gauge recoil? I don't want anything that is going to wear out. Otherwise I'll just go with the Ace folding skeleton w/ 1" recoil pad.

I figured I'd go with the Ace internal receiver block for now and maybe weld on the tromix plate in the future. Is the weld-on method much more secure as I read that there is only 1 bolt that holds the internal receiver block to the receiver if you use the DIY style trigger guard and not the PG nut? I don't have a welder and don't know anyone with a welder as i just moved to the Houston area about a year ago. My only concern is if I have to revert back to a sporter style that I won't be able to without welding on new tang. By the way, why is it called a tang?

Next are some sights. I'm looking for something that will be good for shooting skeet/trap as well as relatively good for shooting slugs at distance. I'm thinking the glock rear will work for me as I already have one laying around. Should I use this with the Kreb's style front or should I look into a weld-on so that it doesn't move if dropped, tossed around, etc. I want this to be built in the true AK style and I don't want anything to just fall off. Any other recommendations for a good sight setup? I will probably go with a red dot in the future.