Proper Cleaning & Lube Instructions

It's pretty much like cleaning anything else. If you have an AK, it cleans just like that with the exception of the gas block and plug.

Field strip the weapon by making sure it is unloaded, then push in the cover lock and the button on the back end of the dust cover. It removes up and back. Then push in the button again, pushing the rear end of the recoil spring forward, and lift it up and let it back and withdraw the spring from the bolt carrier. Pull the bolt carrier all the way to the rear and lift it up out of the receiver, then draw the piston rod end from the gas tube. If you grasp the bolt and rotate it counter clockwise as you face the bolt, it will go back into the bolt carrier and its lug will come free. It can then be pulled from the bolt carrier. It's field stripped at this point. Clean the bore, and the receiver area if necessary, the bolt face and the bolt itself. There may be some carbon on the bolt carrier around the charging handle and the rod end right above the charging handle. Occaisionally, or every time if you wish, the gas plug and gas block can be cleaned also. As you look at the gas plug, you will see that one of the numbers is down by the lower left near the forearm. This is the current setting. By pushing in the small plunger right next to the edge of the plug, and turning counter clockwise with a screwdriver in one of the slots, the plug can be backed out. Then the piston (referred to here as the puck) can be pushed or tapped out to the front by using a dowel or the end of the cleaning rod going in through the gas tube where the bolt carrier came out of. The piston, plug, and the area inside the gas block can now be cleaned.

Reassembly is in reverse order.

As for lube, and gun oil or light grease will work, as the AK system is quite generous with lubrication room. None on the gas piston, a small amount can be applied to the threads of the gas plug if desired, but not absolutely necessary. Some should be applied to the shaft of the bolt, the lug that engages the cam slot in the carrier, and worked into the rotating head of the bolt and the extractor. Some should be applied to the rails in the receiver where the carrier rides. Some should occaisionally be applied to the hammer pin and trigger pin, the trigger and sear hooks, and the pins that the rear trigger and yoke pivot on. Some should be applied to the outside of the coils of the recoil spring where they rub going into and out of the bolt carrier. Some can be wiped onto the face of the hammer if desired, but not much.

This should pretty much cover it, if I missed anything, I'm sure someone will point it out. I am doing this just from memory, I didn't go dig my gun out.

• 2 weeks later...
It's pretty much like cleaning anything else. If you have an AK, it cleans just like that with the exception of the gas block and plug.

Field strip the weapon by making sure it is unloaded, then push in the cover lock and the button on the back end of the dust cover. It removes up and back. Then push in the button again, pushing the rear end of the recoil spring forward, and lift it up and let it back and withdraw the spring from the bolt carrier. Pull the bolt carrier all the way to the rear and lift it up out of the receiver, then draw the piston rod end from the gas tube. If you grasp the bolt and rotate it counter clockwise as you face the bolt, it will go back into the bolt carrier and its lug will come free. It can then be pulled from the bolt carrier. It's field stripped at this point. Clean the bore, and the receiver area if necessary, the bolt face and the bolt itself. There may be some carbon on the bolt carrier around the charging handle and the rod end right above the charging handle. Occaisionally, or every time if you wish, the gas plug and gas block can be cleaned also. As you look at the gas plug, you will see that one of the numbers is down by the lower left near the forearm. This is the current setting. By pushing in the small plunger right next to the edge of the plug, and turning counter clockwise with a screwdriver in one of the slots, the plug can be backed out. Then the piston (referred to here as the puck) can be pushed or tapped out to the front by using a dowel or the end of the cleaning rod going in through the gas tube where the bolt carrier came out of. The piston, plug, and the area inside the gas block can now be cleaned.

Reassembly is in reverse order.

As for lube, and gun oil or light grease will work, as the AK system is quite generous with lubrication room. None on the gas piston, a small amount can be applied to the threads of the gas plug if desired, but not absolutely necessary. Some should be applied to the shaft of the bolt, the lug that engages the cam slot in the carrier, and worked into the rotating head of the bolt and the extractor. Some should be applied to the rails in the receiver where the carrier rides. Some should occaisionally be applied to the hammer pin and trigger pin, the trigger and sear hooks, and the pins that the rear trigger and yoke pivot on. Some should be applied to the outside of the coils of the recoil spring where they rub going into and out of the bolt carrier. Some can be wiped onto the face of the hammer if desired, but not much.

This should pretty much cover it, if I missed anything, I'm sure someone will point it out. I am doing this just from memory, I didn't go dig my gun out.

Thanks... that's the info I was looking for! :)