I am currently working up the specs for my next conversion. I had gone back and forth, but am now certain I want Wakal's mid-barrel compensator and the end of the barrel threaded for WinChokes with the factory threading left in place. Some people prefer the 24" barrel for competition, and I would like to know why. Wakal told me that his comp would work effectively on a 19" barreled gun with an unmodified gas system (which is nice, as I am reluctanct to spend the extra money on a short gas system if I don't need it) but I have never handled a 24" saiga before. Will I be missing anything by sticking with a 19" barrel?

Comrades, I have a 22 inch full choke it has a major advantage I have not met a reactive target that I can't handle with light #8 shot I have seen targets say to cylinder bore Shotgunners, this is a quote "Your Puny Earth Weapons have no effect on me" that is until they meet my Saiga 12 with the full choke and 22 inch barrel one place I used to shoot uses very thick steel and most folks are just not going to deal with it using light stuff.

I can't speak to the 24" barrel but my 19" with a PolyChoke set anywhere from IM to Full will definitely put the steel down well beyond the 10yd minimum and quite often out to 20yds. The only other consideration I can think of regarding length of barrel is what type of stages are set up. We have a few stationary walls with doors and windows on boardwalks (cowboy set ups I think) and the longer barrel might hamper a bit of movement but like anything else just learn to move with it in close quarters through some dryfire practice and it will feel natural. I've seen some pretty long Remingtons and the guys can still move through a stage very fast.