.410 reloading site

Yes, I've been watching their web-site since it first opened -- the bummer is that their slugs only work in fully rifled bores. So unless you want to pay Tromix $$$.$$ (or mabey even $,$$$.$$ for all I know) to rebarrel your gun it's not really applicable to the Saiga-410. With one notable exception, back about half a year ago or more they had actual load data on that web site that they had cooked up themselves, extrapulating from that data I found that one could make High-Velocity 3" shell loads that sent a 1/2-oz. of shot down range at 1,500-fps out of the S-410's short barrel. You use Reloader-7 powder to do it. Basically start load is 25gr. and absolute maximum load is 30gr. you start at the bottom and then work up slowly until the load starts getting too snappy and back off one notch. Depending on what hull/primer/wad combination you are using this will vary and not every combination can be safely taken up to the max load of 30gr. but it shure makes one heck of a load. I've blown gophers to ablivian using it where there wasn't hardly anything left. That extra 300-fps (actually more like an extra 400 or more fps considering the S-410's short barrel) really seems to make a difference.

Basically it's a load that uses the extra 1/2" of space in the 3" shell for more powder rather then more lead !!! :devil:

I would like to know why this slug could not be used in a smooth bore.....I am a novice(newbie) with reloading, soon after I purchased my s410, I realized I would have to reload, for price and veriaity.

Although I was not much interrested in loading .410 slugs this Hoening Big Bore Slug is intregueing. At 375 gns (nearly 3/4 oz lead).

Please explain to me why it would not work decenty through a smooth bore, at least as well as any other "slug".

Thanks

I would like to know why this slug could not be used in a smooth bore. . . . Please explain to me why it would not work decenty through a smooth bore, at least as well as any other "slug". . . .

Any slug fired out of a smooth bore (with the one notable exception of a simple round-ball) must be nose heavy in order to keep it flying straight instead of tumbling. Thus a solid slug that does not have a hollow base or utilize some other sort of method such as a plastic tail section like brenneke slugs to make sure the slug is nose heavy will tumble in flight when fired from a smooth bore and almost without exception spray a very large pattern as a result. That's what the whole rifled barrel thing is about -- with a rifled barrel that spins the bullet/slug you don't need natural nose heavy stability because the spin stablizes the bullet/slug through a gyroscopic action.

I would like to know why this slug could not be used in a smooth bore. . . . Please explain to me why it would not work decenty through a smooth bore, at least as well as any other "slug". . . .

Any slug fired out of a smooth bore (with the one notable exception of a simple round-ball) must be nose heavy in order to keep it flying straight instead of tumbling. Thus a solid slug that does not have a hollow base or utilize some other sort of method such as a plastic tail section like brenneke slugs to make sure the slug is nose heavy will tumble in flight when fired from a smooth bore and almost without exception spray a very large pattern as a result. That's what the whole rifled barrel thing is about -- with a rifled barrel that spins the bullet/slug you don't need natural nose heavy stability because the spin stablizes the bullet/slug through a gyroscopic action.

Thanks for your reply turbo, I can understand now, I'll stick to reloading round ball for my .410.....000x5....0000x4 (.375") and .40x 3(.395"). I am very happy with these loads. I dident buy a .410 shotgun for shooting slugs. After all , I do have a 30-06.

now my s12 is different, I like the capability for .70 slugs :) I did recieve from Lee last week their slug mould and a .69" round ball mould. I have made a few of each, but have yet to load them.

• 3 weeks later...

I too have been watching this site and the possibilities are intriguing to say the least.

Turbo--Would adding a "Paradox" choke to my Saiga help with the stabilization issue? I had thought about getting some of their bullets in the future and maybe trying them (once and if I can afford to reload them). I wasn't planning on loading them to max velocity though to save some wear and tear on the gun.

Thanks!

Mike

I too have been watching this site and the possibilities are intriguing to say the least.

Turbo--Would adding a "Paradox" choke to my Saiga help with the stabilization issue? I had thought about getting some of their bullets in the future and maybe trying them (once and if I can afford to reload them). I wasn't planning on loading them to max velocity though to save some wear and tear on the gun.

Thanks!

Mike

To be honest my "Paradox" or "Rifled Choke" experience is limited to the 12ga. and I have no direct knowledge pertaining to the 410-bore. However, from experience with the bigger bore size I can say that rifled chokes work best when using a solid hammer head shaped nose "square" to 1.5x(square) slug. A square slug is a slug where it's length is equal to it's diameter in other words that's a slug between 0.41" to 0.615" long for a 410 shotgun. Or in terms of weight between 145 to 200 grains. About the best you can do within those limitations is to use 200gr. SWC lead bullets intended for the 41-mag revolver. I know they work just fine out of a fully rifled 410 slug barrel and I think they just might be short enough to work out of a rifled choke gun. Even better if you can find yourself some lighter, shorter plain wadcutter lead bullets instead of semi-wadcutter.

Next consideration on your list is to get rifled choke with the slowest twist available -- granted with the S-410 there is probably only one twist available. But generally as far as rifled chokes go the slower the twist the better. One would think that wouldn't be so but the reality of the situation is that by the time the slug hits the rifling it's at full muzzle velocity and the faster the twist in the choke the more likely it is that the slug will just strip in the rifling.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Resurrected to ask Turbo and Patrick D to check out my post about stacked .410 slugs. I think this could work but I'd like their experience and input.

'stiletto raggio' i am unsure of the post you are refering, However, for me, slug+ .410 = round ball, .395". So...the more, the merrier. 3 .395"round balls = .75 oz ( approx.), within the paramaters of reloading 3" .410.

as well as the lesser known 0000 buck, as verified by ballistic products inc. The .375" round ball. I foundly refer as to as my .38's x 4.

If you have difficultly locating .40 or .38 round ball.... check your friendly neighborhood muzzle loangdi shop.

Patrick D.