I owned my RomakIII for a little over a year, its a swap gun back from iraq stamped romanian draganov Fort Knox TN. It was still in the packing grease ive been having major jamming issues with it. Yes i'ved cleaned it many times. It gets tempermental with heavy loads had no issues with american made rounds. and does anyone sell spare parts for them. In the last year ive almost put 10,000 rds through it.. thanks matt

You should not be shooting heavy loads through the Romak-3. It is only designed for 147-155-grain ammunition. It is NOT designed for the 160-180 grain heavy ball. Every site that discusses this gun and its Russian brother, the Dragunov, mentions this.

However, if it has always been having jamming problems, I would look first at the magazine. My original Romak-3 magazine had weld pits in the side of it, just below the lip. These pits were catching the rim of the cartridge and causing failure to feed. My solution was to take the magazine apart, then I used a needle file to smooth out the front edge of the pit so it formed a smooth ramp that could not catch the cartridge. After that, I had no problems. I have since purchased a second Romak-3 magazine, and this magazine was not pitted.

If you have consistently been shooting heavy loads, I hate to say it, but you've probably ruined it. The bolt is going to be pretty much toast after that many rounds. The only proper ammunition available is either surplus, Wolf Gold 150-grain, or PRVI Partisan 150-grain. Shooting a couple heavy shots through it won't hurt it, but long-term use will damage the bolt. This is why it is generally a good idea to research any firearm you purchase, even if it is after you've already bought it.

Edited by Mike the Wolf

I had to polish the underside of the rails where the rim contacts the rail during feeding almost to a bevel smoothed edge.

It feeds flawless now.

I used to have failure to feed jams almost all the time before I did that.

I NEVER use heavy ball, heavy bullets in my PSL!!!! Big no no

I had to polish the underside of the rails where the rim contacts the rail during feeding almost to a bevel smoothed edge.

It feeds flawless now.

I used to have failure to feed jams almost all the time before I did that.

I NEVER use heavy ball, heavy bullets in my PSL!!!! Big no no

i only used heavy ball for a few hundred rounds the rest was levi belliot, 148gr. all tbe rest was polish surplis silver tip 147 grain, it doenst jam if i put backward pressure on the mags and yes ive tried new mags same thing,, and i polished the slides when i first took the packing grease off of it??

You probably didn't do serious damage, then. Use a chamber brush to clean the chamber. A dirty chamber will create problems with feeding and extraction. A LOT of surplus ammo is steel-cased, which leads to chamber fouling. You'll particularly run into problems if you've been shooting steel and then try to shoot brass.

Edited by Mike the Wolf