Started My First Conversion - 7.62x39

After spending 5 1/2 hours cutting up my handguard yesterday (see this thread: My Handguard Venting), I decided to start prepping my Saiga for a conversion. I don't (ever) shoot this gun where I live in southern IL so I went ahead and stripped it down before actually receiving any of the conversion parts. I've ordered stuff from 4 different places totaling $274.81 with shipping. I think I have it all covered and it shouldn't take long to finish it up. Just for s&g here's a list of everything I have on order right now:

-Tapco T6 stock (black)

-Tapco T6 butt pad

-Tapco SAW pistol grip

-Dinzag bullet guide kit (round trunnion)

-Pistol grip nut

-Trigger guard screws

-Tromix modified Tapco G2 Fire Control Group

-Tapco retaining plate

-Foregrip with picatinny rail (will attach to stock handguard)

-UTG 5th gen side mount (quick release)

-clear 30rd mag

-black plastic 30rd mag

If I missed anything for the conversion let me know! Now for the pictures of the stripping/prepping...

Pins on their way out

IMG_3670.jpg

Pic so you guys can tell me if the normal round bullet guide is the right one and not the thicker one

IMG_3675.jpg

Internals all made external

IMG_3678.jpg

The trash pile

IMG_3680.jpg

What the bottom looked like

IMG_3682.jpg

After a quick sandpaper job

IMG_3686.jpg

After a couple light coats of flat black spray paint to help rust prevention

IMG_3688.jpg

Trigger guard painted and ready to be bolted on

IMG_3692.jpg

So that's how it sits... waiting patiently for parts to start showing up. The spray paint I'm using is working awesome, I actually painted the whole receiver to make sure it is all uniform and I like how matte it is after it dries completely. I'll post more pictures as I get the parts and start putting it all back together. I'm not going to reinstall the BHO since I know how big of a pain it is... decided I'll modify my safety lever like Dinzag and others do to hold the bolt open. I'm still researching scopes right now... I want a short 3-9 or 4-12 x 40 to use for coyote hunting so if anyone has suggestions let me know! Not a fan of red dots but may be interested in an illuminated reticle... depends on price mainly since I don't use this gun very often. Thanks for looking and thanks to everyone that has posted instructions and tips to make the conversion as simple as it can be. I've been referencing cross-conn and the conversion videos posted on Youtube, they make it easy!

It's Krylon Ultra Flat black camouflage paint, here's what it looks like:

IMG_3698.jpg

I decided to go ahead and knock the safety lever bolt hold open mod out tonight too. here are some pics right after i finished filing it. I also filed the little ball on the back down so it doesn't make such a deep impression on the receiver. I threw a couple light sprays of paint to it but it's not dry yet. Here's the pre-paint product:

IMG_3693.jpg

IMG_3695.jpg

I ran to Lowe's and got some allen head bolts and nuts to mount the trigger guard back up. I decided to just use one bolt since it feels pretty solid. I may drill the second hole under the mag release if I get bored one of these days waiting for parts. I also got my rail & foregrip in the mail the other day and decided to mount those. I got the side mount quick release scope mount too, but will obviously wait until the end to install that. I'm still looking at scopes...an NC Star 3-9x40 or 42 is probably what i'm going to go with. Here are some pics of the trigger guard and foregrip.

The trigger guard

IMG_3699.jpg

The bolt after cutting it flush with the nut

IMG_3701.jpg

The picatinny rail and foregrip. Cost like $15 for both as a set.

IMG_3704.jpg

IMG_3706.jpg

• 1 month later...

I use the normal drill and tap method for the bullet guide... just follow dinzag's instructions and you'll get it done in a couple minutes. i can take pictures but they'll look like anyone else's! put the bullet guide in place, mark the hole, drill the hole, tap it, throw some threadlock on it and you're done!