Newb question about paint/durocoat

Two things, and two questions really.

For doing home conversions I'm sure there are any number of things on the market to refinish the gun after filing everything off. But if you wanted to get it blasted/painted/recoated professionally is that something some of the business members do here. Have no problem using what I have available to do it when the time comes the easy way, but thought I'd inquire about having it done the professional way if it's not that big of a job. Have seen a service or two online but figured I'd check here first.

That would also lead to my second question, being a novice and not wanting to remove the gas tube/barrel. Is it legel to ship the stripped down receiver with barrel attached? No fcg. No nothing but receiver, barrel, gas tube. If something I mentioned was available I'd probably have to do that.

I looked at the duracoat kits, even durabake. They actually look pretty easy to apply yourself. A member was kind enough to offer a site to me and it looks like they do great work. So I'll probably take his advice and try this place out. Won't be doing this for about a month but will post pics if I ever get it done.

• 2 weeks later...
I looked at the duracoat kits, even durabake. They actually look pretty easy to apply yourself. A member was kind enough to offer a site to me and it looks like they do great work. So I'll probably take his advice and try this place out. Won't be doing this for about a month but will post pics if I ever get it done.

DuraCoat work is 90% in the prep. IF you can completely clean the piece of its existing finish, rough it up (either sandpaper or sandblasting) and make sure it stays grease-free all the way up to spraying it, then you are golden. DuraCaot is hard to mess up, with good prep, a clean work area, and patience.

DuraCoat work is 90% in the prep. IF you can completely clean the piece of its existing finish, rough it up (either sandpaper or sandblasting) and make sure it stays grease-free all the way up to spraying it, then you are golden. DuraCaot is hard to mess up, with good prep, a clean work area, and patience.

I duracoated a Chinese SKS awhile back. It was pretty easy. I just used a cheap $5 dollar spray can with the glass bottle attached. You really have to prep the rifle good. As for sending a receiver, you can but it would have to be done through an FFL. The receiver is considered the "Gun" with or without barrel, FCG,etc.

As noted, Duracoat is in the prep, and it's pretty easy. Also, we do Duracoating.

As for shipping, yes, a stripped barreled receiver is considered shipping a firearm. No, you don't have to use an FFL to ship it, but it must go to an FFL.

It is legal to ship your firearm to an FFL holder for customization or repair, and that FFL can ship the same firearm back directly to you.