So I now have one of every Saiga Rifle EXCEPT a .223.

7.62x39: Check

.308v21: Check

.30-06v100: Check

Leaving the last suspect, .223 with 16" barrel.

I'm having a hard time justifying the .223. Obviously a .223 16" saiga is about as light as it gets when you're hefting a 30rd mag on the AK platform.

What can i get out of a .223 that I can't get out of my 20" x39 or 21" .308 or the .30-06?

Thanks for the input!

~SN

I'm having a hard time justifying the .223. Obviously a .223 16" saiga is about as light as it gets when you're hefting a 30rd mag on the AK platform.

What can i get out of a .223 that I can't get out of my 20" x39 or 21" .308 or the .30-06?

Thanks for the input!

~SN

i picked one up just due to the concern i have about the laws to come in the not so far future that may have impact on things like ammo importation.. i can barely get 7.62 X 39 now... imagine if certain laws regarding importation of ammo came down stream.. the .223 to me at least appears a more domestic round, and is a pretty common round here in the united states.. so it was just the point of having a rifle i love (the saiga) in a caliber that may be more likely available..

7.62X39 AK's or Saigas are already illegal in my home state (CT). Do you expect any tightening of the rules in the future in your state or your country. Maybe you can take a cue from one of the states that never rescinded their "assault weapons ban". (CT)

Thanks for the input!

~SN

You need more than another gun... .It will come to ya

I went with the 223 Saiga for two reasons:

One it was available and cheap $349 a month ago after the hysteria started.

Two: Ammo. I already have a DPMS M4gery. I will reload for two .223s instead of reloading two different calibers. 223/5.56 brass is WAY cheaper than 7.62x39 re-loadable, and when the ban on imported "military" ammo goes into effect, 7.62x39 is going to be really expensive.

For serious work, the 77 grn OTBT Mk 262 mod 1 round (supplied to US Forces by Black Hills) in the 5.56 is VERY effective, and nearly duplicates the Ballistic coefficient of the 6.8. It was developed as a heavier round for the M249 SAW, but SF folks found it worked MUCH better in the 14.5" barreled M4s than the 62 grn M855. A pard of mine was a State Dept. IPLO Contractor in the sandbox, and said it worked REALLY well making unhappy insurrectionists into happy martyrs! :smoke:

Thanks for the input!

~SN

You need more than another gun... .It will come to ya

? WTF is with this cryptic language.?

I can think of several things that the .223 will give you that the others won't.

A. The ability to use Saiga factory and Surefire mags.

B. The ability to use 35 and 50 round Galil mags.

C. The ability to use M-16/M-4 mags or a C-Beta mag. (with a Galil mags adaptor)

D. The ability to use domestically produced ammo if and/or when imported 7.62x39 gets scarce.

E. The ability to use a .22 LR conversion kit for less expensive shooting.

That's just off the top of my head...

Macbeau sends...

I decided to standardize on .223 in general... Weapon weight, ammo weight and recoil are all something my wife and kid can handle; the ammunition is domestically produced; I'm getting Magnolia Armory's version of the AR magazine adapter, so I can use the same (cheap!) mags across my rifles; and, if I wind up in a zombie movie, I figure that the odds of .223 being, uh, scroungeable, are pretty good.

I figure if I want something with a little more oomph, I can pick up an Ishapore 2A in 7.62NATO fairly reasonably.

I can think of several things that the .223 will give you that the others won't.

A. The ability to use Saiga factory and Surefire mags.

B. The ability to use 35 and 50 round Galil mags.

C. The ability to use M-16/M-4 mags or a C-Beta mag. (with a Galil mags adaptor)

D. The ability to use domestically produced ammo if and/or when imported 7.62x39 gets scarce.

E. The ability to use a .22 LR conversion kit for less expensive shooting.

That's just off the top of my head...

Macbeau sends...

Hello

Will the Galil mags work in a Saiga without any modification??