Tight Shark Brake threads

I just received a new Shark Brake for my brand new S-12. The threads on the Shark Brake are so tight that I can only screw it on a few turns. I tried inserting a steel rod through the openings in the brake to provide more torque but it requires so much effort that it damages the brake. The thread protector supplied with the shotgun screws on completely and with normal effort. This doesn't seem correct. Any advice appreciated.

I just received a new Shark Brake for my brand new S-12. The threads on the Shark Brake are so tight that I can only screw it on a few turns. I tried inserting a steel rod through the openings in the brake to provide more torque but it requires so much effort that it damages the brake. The thread protector supplied with the shotgun screws on completely and with normal effort. This doesn't seem correct. Any advice appreciated.

I came across a fellow last week with the same problem. I am going to use a die and clean the threads for him on the shotgun and see if that helps it. I will let you know if that does the trick.

There are at least two other recent threads on this very subject. Please try a search so this isn't all regurgitated yet again.

Thanks for that. Sorry for the dupe. Found the relevant thread here:

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showto...68&hl=shark

Looks like I'm no the only one. I'm going to try to clean up the threads on the brake with a wire brush in a Dremel to clean out the anodize coating.

Ok- ran the die down the shotgun and it cleaned up the threads. The brake does go on very smooth now.

For everyone's general information, what we are finding is this:

On some new S-12's the threads are a little off. The pitch diameter is correct, but the root of the threads is incomplete. The Shark Brake is made for maximum thread engagement, so may have problems on some guns. We are working out a long-term solution to this problem, but inconsistancy in the Russian product has always been a problem for aftermarket designers.

It looks like they were made with an over-worn or broken insert. Running the muzzle with a die will solve it, but of course we know that's not an option for most of you.

Edited by BobAsh

It's M22x.75.

The next batch of shark brakes will be made with out-of-spec threads so they will work on your out-of-spec barrels. They screw on just fine with the older barrels, but when the Ruskie cuts the thread with the tip broken off the insert, you end up with a thread that is too shallow. We need to start making are shit more sloppy so it will fit. We're on it.

Tony