Topcoc G2 hammer mod

I am doing my conversion now. Does the Tapco G2 FCG need any modifications or is it just a drop in. I thought I read a while back some grinding may be in order for clearance issues.s Also any tips on getting the BHO back in. I have done conversion on my 308 and 7.62 and did not reinstall it. I wouldlike to keep the bolt open to inset mags easily. Looks like a pain in the a##. Thank in advance.

The conversion is not a big deal, just grind or file the right side down by the width of the bolt hold open lever, take a little off at a time, check often via reinstall with BHO till it fits nicely. You'll also have to do some grinding on the hammer as well so that it doesn't strike the cross member support. I profiled my hammer via grinding and matching the original hammer. Just ground a little off at a time till worked properly, I didn't match it exact but I got it close. If I remember correctly the Tapco hammer is much heavier/meatier than the original hammer. Watch the top of the hammer if you are profiling, you don't want the hammer to strike the firing pin when the bolt is not closed and locked (safety first). If you don't know what I am talking about your can remove mag, clear the weapon (no chambered rounds), take dust cover off, let the hammer down (as if fired), flip the rifle over, look at the bolt as you pull back on the bolt handle. The bolt carrier will move rearword a little bit before the bolt will turn and start to unlock. If you turn the rifle back over at the position the bolt carrier moves, but bolt doesn't unlock - you can see if your hammer hitting the bolt carrier but not striking the firing pin. You don't want your hammer to strike the firing pin prior to the bolt being locked. Watch the top profile of the hammer and keep it safe. My conversion was a 308 and I kept the bolt hold open. Hopefully this makes sense!

The conversion is not a big deal, just grind or file the right side down by the width of the bolt hold open lever, take a little off at a time, check often via reinstall with BHO till it fits nicely. You'll also have to do some grinding on the hammer as well so that it doesn't strike the cross member support. I profiled my hammer via grinding and matching the original hammer. Just ground a little off at a time till worked properly, I didn't match it exact but I got it close. If I remember correctly the Tapco hammer is much heavier/meatier than the original hammer. Watch the top of the hammer if you are profiling, you don't want the hammer to strike the firing pin when the bolt is not closed and locked (safety first). If you don't know what I am talking about your can remove mag, clear the weapon (no chambered rounds), take dust cover off, let the hammer down (as if fired), flip the rifle over, look at the bolt as you pull back on the bolt handle. The bolt carrier will move rearword a little bit before the bolt will turn and start to unlock. If you turn the rifle back over at the position the bolt carrier moves, but bolt doesn't unlock - you can see if your hammer hitting the bolt carrier but not striking the firing pin. You don't want your hammer to strike the firing pin prior to the bolt being locked. Watch the top profile of the hammer and keep it safe. My conversion was a 308 and I kept the bolt hold open. Hopefully this makes sense!

Thanks for the reply!! I did some grinding on the hammer. I will get it together tomorrow. Let ya know how it turns out

Got her back together today. Man I had a Hell of a time with the BHO!! I guess it is working properly. I gotta get and and put a couple rounds through it now to test her. I now have 3 Saigas converted. 7.62, .308., and my 12. Now I need a .223!! I`m hooked. Love these weapons. To bad the price has gone through the roof :cryss: . Still a good buy though .

Edited by Bobriden1

I also have a Tapco FCG in my S-12 and I had to grind the hammer to fit and to match the factory hammer to clear the box in front of the trigger (I don't know what it does) and to allow room for the bolt hold open when reassembled. For some reason the safety wouldn't go in and I had to install it before the hammer and trigger were installed. It's different than the Saiga 7.62x39 or AK rifles.