GAS TUBE REMOVAL

I've posted this on the .223 Forum, but I figure it really ought to be posted here in the Tech forum:

New to the forums, but I've been lurking for a while. After reading TONS of posts here, I decided to buy a Saiga .223. You guys were right, these guns rock. I was amazed at just how easy they are to field strip (more on that later), more like a Glock or a Sig than a Colt pistol. I shot the gun for the first time today and loved it. Soon I will start "making it mine" with a bunch of modifications, once I make up my mind exactly what I want the gun to look like and handle like. Now for my first NEWBIE question: Just how and the heck do you get the gas tube off? If I've read the manual and other posts correctly, you have to take the gas tube off before you can remove the forearm. My problem is that I can't get the gas tube off of the rifle. I have rotated the little lever next to the sight and have tapped on the gas tube as much as I dare so as not to damage it, but it still only moves a very little bit. I have rotated the unlatching lever over 20 times, and have now dropped some oil at the end of the gas tube where it meets the receiver in the hopes that it will seep in and loosen things up. It is common for the gas tube on a Saiga .223 to be this tight during the first field strip? Am I doing something wrong, or are there any hints that will help during this first field strip? Thanks!

Got it! Man was that a pain in the... Fingers. It was not the little release lever that was stuck, that thing I was able to move back and forth with no problem. It was the gas tube assembly that was really, really, really (you get the idea) tight into the receiver. I had to work it loose a little bit at a time, and I think the oil might have helped. Now I'm afraid to put it back on, but it will hopefully wear in over time.