Weaver mount scope suggestions.

Hi, just wondering what you guys might suggest as far as weaver mount scopes go. I am thinking 8x42 POSP WD with (dragunov reticule) or 8x42 POSP WDM6 with (mill-dot reticule). Both are around $200 +/- 30. Any other suggestions for a good scope under $250. Thanks.

P.S. Will mostly be doing target shooting at 100 yards and hunting up to 200...

Edited by AK86
Hi, just wondering what you guys might suggest as far as weaver mount scopes go. I am thinking 8x42 POSP WD with (dragunov reticule) or 8x42 POSP WDM6 with (mill-dot reticule). Both are around $200 +/- 30. Any other suggestions for a good scope under $250. Thanks.

P.S. Will mostly be doing target shooting at 100 yards and hunting up to 200...

Interested in this too.

In that price range, I highly recommend the Burris fullfield II scopes. I really like their Ballistic Plex recticle, more so than the Ziess or Leupold Ballistic recticles. These are better quality and 5 times easy to adjust than the POSP scopes. Except for my PK-AS red dots (which I love), I completely stopped using my commie optics. Also, if you are target shooting or long distance hunting, get a mount that sits low over center bore (like a Vepr side mount or a Beryl mount). Dont go too cheap on optics if you want it to perform.

In that price range, I highly recommend the Burris fullfield II scopes. I really like their Ballistic Plex recticle, more so than the Ziess or Leupold Ballistic recticles. These are better quality and 5 times easy to adjust than the POSP scopes. Except for my PK-AS red dots (which I love), I completely stopped using my commie optics. Also, if you are target shooting or long distance hunting, get a mount that sits low over center bore (like a Vepr side mount or a Beryl mount). Dont go too cheap on optics if you want it to perform.

Ahhh, what the hell! I looked around here and there adn did not really find anything that I like better than the POSP 8x42 WD mounted on the MOLOT Vepr ultra low mount... Ordering it right now... :-)

anything attaching to the side rail isnt going to be worth a shit. Get the new beryl style mount from dph arms. The side rail moves because the reciever metal flexes and rivets become loose.

Getting Beryls style mount is the worst attachment for an AK based rifle. It defeats the whole purpose of the rifle since it is designed for FAST disassembly. Out of all the people who served in the russian army AND the ones that own Ak based rifles (SVD included) none complained about anything coming loose or complained about side mount what so ever...

Getting Beryls style mount is the worst attachment for an AK based rifle. It defeats the whole purpose of the rifle since it is designed for FAST disassembly. Out of all the people who served in the russian army AND the ones that own Ak based rifles (SVD included) none complained about anything coming loose or complained about side mount what so ever...

I tended to agree with you regarding the beryl type rails so I built my own. Here are some pics of what I made. It has a quick release to address the very problem you cite yet is a very stable mount. Currently mounted on a Romanian but, I'll be picking up my first Saiga .308 in about two weeks. Can't wait.

3293377361_8c3e93b332_m.jpg

3294201760_97ace22127_m.jpg

3294202130_e3f03cc53f_m.jpg

anything attaching to the side rail isnt going to be worth a shit. Get the new beryl style mount from dph arms. The side rail moves because the reciever metal flexes and rivets become loose.

The DPH Beryl mount lifts off 10 times faster than any side mounted optic, you simply move a lever and lift, so disassembly is way faster with modern Beryl designs. There is no longer screws and such to remove like with the older Beryl designs.

A good side mount, like the Vepr on a Saiga 308, is definitely adequate, but my groups at 500 yards drastically improved when I switched to the Beryl mount. For precision distance work, the very low position, perfectly lined center-bore, resistance to receiver flex, and shear "beefiness" are an advantage that should not be ignored. The Beryl also lets the rifle keep a narrow profile. I find that the Beryl always returns to PERFECT zero, the side mounted ones always drift POA anywhere from 1-3 MOA when removed and replaced - definitely no big deal at a few hundred yards, but substantial at 600 yards. The drawbacks to the Beryl mount are that it is heavy, and it makes cleaning a little harder when the optic is mounted to the rail (you have to hold the gun sideways while you wipe down the internals to keep the mount clear). I think a quick detachable Beryl is perfect for hunting or a Saiganov build.

For a SHTF "assault" rifle though, I would use a traditional side mounted optic because the entire assembly can be kept in a backpack to keep the gun light and maneuverable (CQB), but the scope can quickly be added if a distance situation presents itself. The side mount has much greater utility than the Beryl mount.

Okay, I've been reading up on this subject and searching all over the net about this for more than a month. I've read the recent post about the DPH beryl mount where it was commented that the Krebs mount is easier and more compatible with stocks such as ACE or Tapco. However, $175 for the DPH and $275 for the Krebs is a bit out of my budget for just a rail. DPH has another beryl mount for less $69.99 that doesn't have a quick release. Does anyone know anything about that? Also I have been looking at the SGM rails (not alum.) which are much cheaper. Some of you may not like it because it is plastic however I have heard elsewhere that it is pretty good. Any further comments on the SGM beryl mount?

I'va also heard good things about the side mounts but this is the first time I've heard that it doesn't hold zero.