Help with Saiga 12 trigger guard (reusing original)

I'm in the middle of my first Saiga conversion and have run into a snag. I planned on reusing the factory trigger guard, but the Saiga 12 mag catch assembly seems to have other thoughts. I am using a .223 conversion guide and this is not covered. Is there a way to make this work, or do I need to buy a new trigger guard?

The mag catch assy is not any problem for reusing the factory trigger guard.

First you need to fabricate a safety selector stop. You can use the one that came on the bottom cover plate if you didn't mangle it during removal. I cut mine off as far back as possible into the area where the plate steps up around the trigger hole. Grind / file / sand it smooth and square, then it's ready to install under the front of the TG. I just but it up against the mag catch base and while holding it square, drill through the existing hole and through the receiver. This gives you an attachment point for it and the TG.

Bend the TG into more of a squared off "U" shape and it will fit perfectly between this new hole, and the existing one in your receiver behind the trigger cutout.

Before this step, you need to have cut the TG off square across the back right at the point it was hanging off the back of the receiver and bottom plate. In the front, where the TG was spot welded to the plate, you need to have drilled a hole in the center for your fastener. I use steel drive rivets to fasten the front and rear.

Comes out looking like this....

post-1293-1235575814_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1235575831_thumb.jpg

Or you could use a real AK TG and end up with something a little more traditional....

post-1293-1235575904_thumb.jpg