got my new saiga 12 yesterday!!!

Hi and welcome to the forum.

You'll find that many items people choose to add are a matter of personal taste. This stock over that stock, a Tromix trigger guard vs. stock, a different gas plug, etc. My advice would be to read the forums and do a search for the things you're interested in (magwell, BHO, Tromix stock, shark brake, Gunfixer's gas plug, etc). Almost any question you can think of has probably already been asked several times and usually end up having pictures and links to relevant threads.

But to quickly answer a couple of your questions....

I'm not familiar with which skeleton stock you're talking about, but my understanding is that if you start adding "non-sporting" items like high capacity mags, folding stocks, flash hiders, etc, you have to deal with 922R and have 10 imported parts or less in the shotgun. That comes from changing out things like the trigger group, stocks, the gas puck, pistol grip and other things that are on the 922R list. There's a whole section on 922R you can check out here.

Red dots are nice. I like them. The Krebs sights are really easy to use though and don't require batteries. Dinzag makes a nice front sight base as well as an AK styled rear sight setup. I've seen them on his personal gun, as well as Juggernaut's and they are really sweet.

The BHO (the automatic style) is activated by a tab attached to the follower on an empty magazine. It presses a lever upward which in turn pivots another up that has a small section that sticks up and catches a notch on the underside of the bolt carrier. Just do a search for BHO or LRBHO.

I haven't tried a magwell yet, as I understand they don't yet have one that will allow you to use a drum. Others can comment of those.

I hope this helped

Corbin

Hi and welcome to the forum.

You'll find that many items people choose to add are a matter of personal taste. This stock over that stock, a Tromix trigger guard vs. stock, a different gas plug, etc. My advice would be to read the forums and do a search for the things you're interested in (magwell, BHO, Tromix stock, shark brake, Gunfixer's gas plug, etc). Almost any question you can think of has probably already been asked several times and usually end up having pictures and links to relevant threads.

But to quickly answer a couple of your questions....

I'm not familiar with which skeleton stock you're talking about, but my understanding is that if you start adding "non-sporting" items like high capacity mags, folding stocks, flash hiders, etc, you have to deal with 922R and have 10 imported parts or less in the shotgun. That comes from changing out things like the trigger group, stocks, the gas puck, pistol grip and other things that are on the 922R list. There's a whole section on 922R you can check out here.

Red dots are nice. I like them. The Krebs sights are really easy to use though and don't require batteries. Dinzag makes a nice front sight base as well as an AK styled rear sight setup. I've seen them on his personal gun, as well as Juggernaut's and they are really sweet.

The BHO (the automatic style) is activated by a tab attached to the follower on an empty magazine. It presses a lever upward which in turn pivots another up that has a small section that sticks up and catches a notch on the underside of the bolt carrier. Just do a search for BHO or LRBHO.

I haven't tried a magwell yet, as I understand they don't yet have one that will allow you to use a drum. Others can comment of those.

I hope this helped

Corbin

thanks for the good info!

the stock i was talking about is RAA SKELETON Stock W/ADJ CHEEK

http://stores.agmdealtime.com/-strse-19025...-ADJ/Detail.bok

so it seems people just change out "internals", gas piston, puck, trigger, ect only to become 922r complient?!?!?!?

and yesterday i think i read somewhere on here that the md-20 drum doesn't except all 2 3/4 shells? is this true?

and if that stock is made by Russian American Armory... is that an american part or no?

basicly i really like waltham_41 gun that is posted in the thread "Picture Post, Lets see your Saiga 12!"

saiga12best.jpg

Edited by evil04svtcobra

People often change their Saiga because they think it looks and/or feels better in the original configuration. However, the original configuration cannot be imported into the US. Therefore, the manufacturer adds a trigger linkage and moves the trigger back and does away with the pistol grip. It's supposed to make it more "sporting" so it can be imported. Kind of a stupid law if you ask me, but that's how it is.

Section 922R refers to imported firearms being illegal to configure into a form that would have been un-importable. Basically you can't make it have the pistol grip or folding stock or anything "assault" style.........UNLESS....... the firearm in question has 10 or fewer foreign parts from a list of parts the Feds published (trigger, hammer, stock, bolt, gas piston, barrel, etc).

So yes, people change out foreign parts with US made ones in order to be 922 compliant. That and it looks nicer to them.

It's my understanding that the MD-20 drum does not take 3" shells. I think the Wraithmaker did, but I don't know much about those drums, only that the manufacturer is no longer a business member here. There's a couple threads in the MD Arms section that discuss it.

I may be wrong, but I believe the RAA stock is not made in the US. So it wouldn't count towards 922 compliance.

If you're wanting to do something like Waltham_41, in order to be 922 compliant (assuming you're in the US), you couldn't count the trigger or stock towards 922. I believe you COULD replace the hammer and disconnector with US made ones. You could even take a US made trigger and grind the finger hook off and use that internally. BUT, I'm not sure if they'd consider THAT the trigger or the other external one you actually pull. I don't think that's ever come up before that I've seen. The imported Saiga has the original type trigger up where it is on the converted ones. They just grind off the finger hook and cover the slot with a plate and hook a linkage up to another trigger farther back.

You could replace the front forend and the gas puck with US made ones. The thread protector could be exchanged for a US made muzzle attachment too. Remember, with 922, it's not how many US pieces you ADD, but how many specific foriegn parts are removed.

So removing 5 foreign pieces would put you in good legal standing:

1:Replace the hammer with a US made one

2:Replace the disconnector with a US made one

3:Replace the forend with a US made one

4:Replace the gas puck with a US made one

5:Replace the thread protector with a US made device.

I believe US made magazines count as 3 US made parts, but I wouldn't rely on that for compliance, since if you put the original mag back in it, you could be in trouble. Better to replace parts IN the gun.

I hope this was explained well enough. I'm still sort of a noob myself, but I'm learning.

Corbin

People often change their Saiga because they think it looks and/or feels better in the original configuration. However, the original configuration cannot be imported into the US. Therefore, the manufacturer adds a trigger linkage and moves the trigger back and does away with the pistol grip. It's supposed to make it more "sporting" so it can be imported. Kind of a stupid law if you ask me, but that's how it is.

Section 922R refers to imported firearms being illegal to configure into a form that would have been un-importable. Basically you can't make it have the pistol grip or folding stock or anything "assault" style.........UNLESS....... the firearm in question has 10 or fewer foreign parts from a list of parts the Feds published (trigger, hammer, stock, bolt, gas piston, barrel, etc).

So yes, people change out foreign parts with US made ones in order to be 922 compliant. That and it looks nicer to them.

It's my understanding that the MD-20 drum does not take 3" shells. I think the Wraithmaker did, but I don't know much about those drums, only that the manufacturer is no longer a business member here. There's a couple threads in the MD Arms section that discuss it.

I may be wrong, but I believe the RAA stock is not made in the US. So it wouldn't count towards 922 compliance.

If you're wanting to do something like Waltham_41, in order to be 922 compliant (assuming you're in the US), you couldn't count the trigger or stock towards 922. I believe you COULD replace the hammer and disconnector with US made ones. You could even take a US made trigger and grind the finger hook off and use that internally. BUT, I'm not sure if they'd consider THAT the trigger or the other external one you actually pull. I don't think that's ever come up before that I've seen. The imported Saiga has the original type trigger up where it is on the converted ones. They just grind off the finger hook and cover the slot with a plate and hook a linkage up to another trigger farther back.

You could replace the front forend and the gas puck with US made ones. The thread protector could be exchanged for a US made muzzle attachment too. Remember, with 922, it's not how many US pieces you ADD, but how many specific foriegn parts are removed.

So removing 5 foreign pieces would put you in good legal standing:

1:Replace the hammer with a US made one

2:Replace the disconnector with a US made one

3:Replace the forend with a US made one

4:Replace the gas puck with a US made one

5:Replace the thread protector with a US made device.

I believe US made magazines count as 3 US made parts, but I wouldn't rely on that for compliance, since if you put the original mag back in it, you could be in trouble. Better to replace parts IN the gun.

I hope this was explained well enough. I'm still sort of a noob myself, but I'm learning.

Corbin

seriously thank you... great info!