OK so I want to chop one of my Saigas

OK so I want to chop one of my Saiga's down into a pistol. Has anybody done that? I'm gonna de mil and rebuild on a NDS1 or 3. Just need to verify my sanity. I'm in California and it's pretty tough to get AK kit's shipped here. I don't know why but I guess too many people don't like money or are obliviuos to the fact that it's legal.

I'm shooting for a krink style look. Yes they are 100% legal in California so don't start that please. Just looking for advise and what parts will I need.

I don't know anything about Cali gun laws, so I'll leave that to you.

You're going to need a lower handguard retainer and an AK-style gas tube, to retain the handguards.

Krink furniture is so expensive. You could always just use a Tromix shorty handguard, like on this .308:

S-308shorty.jpg

I don't know anything about converting a rifle to a pistol, so I'll leave that answer to others.

However, since I just completed a sale of a pistol to CA I'll be happy to tell you why I'll never do it again, and why I'm sure no one else wants to either.

If you have a FFL and you want to ship a firearm to another FFL in CA then you must register with a CA state database, and then get an individual authorization to ship each firearm. This includes providing all kinds of information that no other state requires and anxiously wondering if your sale is going to get all screwed up because some CA bureaucrat decides they want to creatively interpret the law that day. I don't know if this applies to kits as well, but I'm sure it probably does, or the law on kits is vague enough that no one wants to risk it.

If you don't have a FFL and you want to ship to a CA FFL holder then you will have to get another FFL holder to do the shipping for you because all of the CA FFL holders are scared sh*tless that the state will screw them over on some technicality if they take a shipment from a non-ffl (even though it's completely legal). This adds the extra cost of paying someone else to ship and the extra hassle of finding a FFL holder willing to deal with the state of CA's bullsh*t.

I have done several private firearm sales to people all over the US and I have never had to put up with anything close to the level of stupidity involved in wading through CA's gun laws. It ended up turning a nice and easy sale into a massive pain in the ass. I totally understand why all those sellers on GB have the "no sales to CA" notices on their listings. I have nothing at all against CA gun owners, but next time I'll just wait until I can find a buyer in some other state.

Edited by dftc

BobAsh yeah that shit ain't cheap. We have a guy in my town who makes AK furniture Ironwood designs. This gun will be manufactured in California so no bullshit needed. Now the pissed off FFL, the CFLC is pretty easy. You register ,get a #, print out a form, sign it, and ship everything. Now you stated handgun?

Well we'll be getting that bullshit squared away shortly........trust me. We have been fighting the state and they're losing. They write the laws and we follow them. If someone want to buy a pistol just make sure it's on the list. What you can do is dealer to dealer transfer for LEO sale only and when it gets here your free and clear. How do you think we get Uzi's and MAC11's in here? If you want to turn your back on 35million customers, be my guest.

Yeah, maybe I was venting a little bit more than necessary. Still, it was much more difficult to ship to CA than anywhere else I have tried. I'm not inclined to deal with it again. Mainly I am just mad that I had a buyer who had to wait while I sorted everything out with the receiving FFL.

I live on the left coast too, so I know what it's like to live with stupid nanny laws. I sure hope you win your fight to simplify your laws because if you don't I'm sure my state will be adopting all of CA's gun laws plus a few more.

If you want to turn your back on 35million customers, be my guest.

The problem is; you don't have 35M customers for firearms in Cali. You are in the minority.

Thats exactly why Tony and I left. Best of luck to you for getting what you want; I know a lot of guys do.

If you want to turn your back on 35million customers, be my guest.

The problem is; you don't have 35M customers for firearms in Cali. You are in the minority.

Thats exactly why Tony and I left. Best of luck to you for getting what you want; I know a lot of guys do.

I don't think I am though. It's the how the district lines are drawn. Bob are you from SLO also? I know Tony is. I'll have my AK pistol dammit, fuck what people think! I had some bitch tell me "You don't need that"......Really? How would you know what I need?

I tell you these people are insane in their thinking, but it's just 14-16 countys that are like that. If each county had equal representation then we would win hands down.