Buying out of state in California?

So would it be crazy to ask an out of state dealer or private party to install a mag lock on a Saiga if i shipped it to them first? There's way better deals out of state but they aren't California legal. Seems easy enough. Has anyone done this? The only Cali. legal S12's that i can even find are over 1K. I'm seeing them all over the U.S. though for around $500. Could save a little $. Am i missing something?

There are intermediary FFLs who will receive your S-12 install a maglock and then ship to your Ca FFL. Costs vary but run around $75-100+ to receive, install their "proprietary" maglock and ship. Henderson in Nevada is one, EvilBlackRifles in Colorado is another.

Call CGW or Henderson Defense. I bought one from DD's Ranch and had them ship it to Henderson for conversion and mag lock. The other one I bought straight from CGW, both worked out great.

Dude, by the time you are done having the gun transferred to someone to do the conversion then have that person transferr it again to an FFL near you in Cali that is willing to deal with these things, you'll be out almost 2 months and you'll only save maybe $100 when compared to buying it from a dealer here that already has it converted. Do yourself the favor and spend the extra cash so that you can get to the range sooner. Thats certainly a lot better than telling everyone that you got this "bad ass" gun coming and you're stuck waiting for it to ship or worse waiting for it to be converted and you have NOTHING in your hands. Since you're in the IE, you should check out Cold War Shooters in Highland. Thats where I got mine. Picked it up the same day my waiting period expired for my .308 so I got instant gratification.

I know it sucks that guys in other states get such good deals but we're lucky just to be able to have these available through a few dealers in ours. As tempting as the prices are for those out of state items, I'm not interested in waiting for my gun while it bounces all over the country before it can get to me.