I am applying for a river bottom deer tag in my area for the fall. My question is, what is the maximum effective (responsible, one shot one kill) range of 1 oz. 2 3/4 or 3" slugs? I can shoot 5" groups consistently at 100 yards. The river bottom tag is late season and allows the hunter to harvest up to 5 whitetail does! You must use handgun, archery or shotgun. I plan on using my Saiga 12.

The effective maximum range for deer is usually more to do with your accuracy than other factors. I have a mossy with a rifled barrel that I would say I could take a deer out to 150 yards like clockwork. I hunted with my S-12 this year and I have decided for myself that 100 yards is a nice comfortable distance. The round will have plenty of power available, I just feel that the trajectory starts droping alot much past this distance. This is a very subjective mater, your stance, if you have sticks or a rest, if you can bring the weapon up the same every time, is the trarget moving. 5" groups at 100 yards sounds pretty darn good for a smoothbore. A deer's vitals are usually 10 14" inches possibly more depending on who you ask. I just feel that for me, if I go much past 100 yards the chance of wounding rather than dispatching the animal goes up to much. If I could put alot of range time in, I would probably be more apt to take a longer shot.

Edited by zone1935