buying a rifle for 3 gun in the future

I'm going to be buying a rifle soon with the intention of going to some matches in the future.

My idea is the stick to the same manual of arms so a Saiga .223 is what I was thinking about until I started adding up everything. It adds up to $600-700 quick (which is fine).

But, I saw this package AK for $650

http://www.classicarms.us/index.htm

YOU GET THE 1975 AK GP RIFLE FROM CENTURY ARMS. WITH THE SHOOTERS PACKAGE YOU ALSO GET 2 ADDITIONAL 30 ROUND MAGS ( FOR A TOTAL OF 4 ) A BULLDOG TACTICAL PADDED SLING AND A HEAVY DUTY BULLDOG CARRY CASE

Would I be better off with the .223? Less recoil, under normal circumstances I would expect .223 ammo to be easier to get, I like to tinker so a conversion would be fun (although the wife might start asking questions lol).

Any input is appreciated.

My other weapons are the S12 in my avatar, and a Sig P226SCT.

I shot a 223 Saiga in my last 3 gun and will do it again. We never shoot beyond 100yrds so it was a perfect setup. The 9 people on my squad all had AR's and were giving me crap until 7 of their AR's jammed up on the rifle stage and they were crying to reshoot the stage. Mine ran flawless and and they never said another word. I will continue to shoot it at these close matches.

I would go with the 223. It's a great project and you can get a 2lb trigger with the right springs and some polishing.

Greg

Go with the .223 calber regardless of which rifle you choose. The light recoil of the .223 will enable you to keep the rifle on target better without having to reaquire your sights over and over as you go through a rapid string of shooting. The low ammunition costs can only be beat by an AK type rifle in 5.45 Russian, which for close range (0-300 yds.), is not a bad choice either. The only downside to 5.45 Russian is that it is not accepted at all ranges because there is no copper-jacketed bullets for this ammo available only "bi-metal" steel-mix bullet jacket.

The .223 Saiga rifle is an excellent rifle for starting 3-gun as it is low cost and easy to maintain. It is fairly accurate and you do trade some speed in mag changes to the AR for a higher reliability factor in return. AR rifles dominate most 3-gun shoots as the accuracy and accessories are high and abundant.

Edited by Ronswin

Thanks for the pointers. It basically reaffirms my thoughts so I've ordered my .223 Saiga. It'll be outfitted just like my shotgun.

I like ARs, but I've never liked one enough to go buy one. My Saiga 12 gauge on the other hand is the most fun gun I've ever fired, and that probably had a lot to do with me wanting a Saiga .223

As far as speed of mag swaps, I might get the bug to look into extended mag releases and magwells next year.