Have a quick question... I have a slightly leaking gas block.

I'm getting a little blow-by between the gasblock and the outside of the barrel as evidenced by fouling on the outside of the barrel right where the gas block is pressed on. I have an opportunity to get the gas block welded on air tight, but does it really matter? The weapon cycles fine. No FTEs, FTFs. Does it affect velocity or accuracy?

Thanks, Erin.

Have a quick question... I have a slightly leaking gas block.

I'm getting a little blow-by between the gasblock and the outside of the barrel as evidenced by fouling on the outside of the barrel right where the gas block is pressed on. I have an opportunity to get the gas block welded on air tight, but does it really matter? The weapon cycles fine. No FTEs, FTFs. Does it affect velocity or accuracy?

Thanks, Erin.

I read somewhere that the gas block is not completely seal. I have 4 SKS, Yugo AK and these are pretty old rifles and they all have very tiny spot build up of gas near the gas block. But they function fine. I just clean them with brush.

Edited by devildog1122

Thanks for the input guys. I just tend to be anal about stuff sometimes. I guess I'll just let it leak, I mean vent. Lol.

Seriously though, I was thinking that in a 16" barrel, the powder is nowhere near done burning anyway. So even if the gas block is leaking a little, there's still plenty of juice left to cycle the weapon and push the bullet out of the barrel at whatever velocity it normally would anyway...

Plus, I was also thinking if I did enough welding on the barrel/gas block to make the gas block air tight, the intense heat from that much welding might warp the barrel a little and cause inaccuracies.

I'll just leave well enough alone. Lol.

Edited by gothchick