AK handguard retainer....how is it held in place?

I currently have my FSB and gas block off of my rifle, awaiting on the new gas block to arrive. I have a dinzag retainer but I was wondering, how difficult would it be to add a standard AK handguard retainer? How are they held into place on the barrel?

Thanks.

I currently have my FSB and gas block off of my rifle, awaiting on the new gas block to arrive. I have a dinzag retainer but I was wondering, how difficult would it be to add a standard AK handguard retainer? How are they held into place on the barrel?

Thanks.

a standard handguard retainer has a guide pin going through it, and the barrel is notched in the same place, and the guide pin notched on one edge and has a lever and is turned to lock it into place. A few people on this board have made their own hack for the saiga based on an ak retainer. I believe you can use a standard handguard even if you are willing to notch thebarrel. Here is mine that I was inspired by md_willington to do. Basically cut a standard handguard down to make it fit around the barrel, and then took a machine bolt and cut it to curve around the barrel, and then used a nut and lock washer to hold it into place and put a little paint on it. hasn't moved at all can even hold it loaded by the handguard.

hg2.JPG

here is a thread about it

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showto...amp;hl=retainer