16.3" 233, FSB and Alumalite

I know this may have been answered, but I am having a hard time finding exactley the answer I need to accomplish my goal.

Basically, I have a 16.3" 223. I want to mount a 6" Alumalite "suppressor" past my forearm gaurd. I would like to remove the stock FSB, move it back (or remove it all together) and installed the Alumalite "suppressor".

Here is what I have now:

barrel.JPG

Here is an example by jvor of the move FSB on the gas tube:

img1232ib6.jpg

Here is what I want to install:

DSC06274.JPG

What I need is direction on what needs to happen to reach my goal. I have no idea on how to remove the FSB, what is under the stock FSB, do I have to install a new FSB on the gas tube.

For anyone that has done this, I would like to have some direction/feedback.

-Bryan

First I do not need a FSB at all, as I have a laser, a red dot and scope. So removing it is my goal.

However, since I am removing the FSB, I might as well make it look "meaner". This is mearly a cosmetic change. I know it serves no purpose, but I like to strike a balance of "show and go". I do this with my vehicles as well, power and looks. It is just my personality. :)

-Bryan

Edited by broberts001
First I do not need a FSB at all, as I have a laser, a red dot and scope. So removing it is my goal.

However, since I am removing the FSB, I might as well make it look "meaner". This is mearly a cosmetic change. I know it serves no purpose, but I like to strike a balance of "show and go". I do this with my vehicles as well, power and looks. It is just my personality. :)

-Bryan

as much as you dont "need" iron sights its nice to have them there as a back up..

-Bryan

as much as you dont "need" iron sights its nice to have them there as a back up..

I agree, that is why I am open to a front sight mounted on the gas tube just past the forward grip.

-Bryan.

I'm about to remove my FSB to replace it with a 24mm threaded FSB, so take what I'm about to say with a grain of salt as I haven't actually, you know, done any of this yet...

As I understand it, the FSB is held on with either two pins or two dimples on the underside of the block. You can use a thin punch to knock out the pins - if you have dimples, you'll have to carefully drill them out. Once you've knocked the pins out or drilled out the dimples, you can press the FSB off. This can be done with a press, a small sledge and a 2x4 or other non-marring block, or a gear-puller. If you aren't going to replace the FSB, you'll be left with the two channels drilled through the underside of the barrel where the pins went - I don't know if you'd want to fill those somehow or not.

I have no interest in removing my gas block, so I haven't paid as much attention to those details. My understanding is that pressing it off is more or less similar to pressing off the FSB, if slightly trickier due to the geometry of the block. The diameter of the barrel ahead of the gas block is smaller than the diameter of the barrel where the block sits (the AK barrel is stepped in diameter - see attachment below), so once it's off, it should slide right down the barrel.

Ace makes a replacement front sight that clamps onto the gas block if you just want the Krinkov/Galil-style sight and don't want to remove the block.

post-13741-1241716723_thumb.jpg

I'm about to remove my FSB to replace it with a 24mm threaded FSB, so take what I'm about to say with a grain of salt as I haven't actually, you know, done any of this yet...

As I understand it, the FSB is held on with either two pins or two dimples on the underside of the block. You can use a thin punch to knock out the pins - if you have dimples, you'll have to carefully drill them out. Once you've knocked the pins out or drilled out the dimples, you can press the FSB off. This can be done with a press, a small sledge and a 2x4 or other non-marring block, or a gear-puller. If you aren't going to replace the FSB, you'll be left with the two channels drilled through the underside of the barrel where the pins went - I don't know if you'd want to fill those somehow or not.

I have no interest in removing my gas block, so I haven't paid as much attention to those details. My understanding is that pressing it off is more or less similar to pressing off the FSB, if slightly trickier due to the geometry of the block. The diameter of the barrel ahead of the gas block is smaller than the diameter of the barrel where the block sits (the AK barrel is stepped in diameter - see attachment below), so once it's off, it should slide right down the barrel.

Ace makes a replacement front sight that clamps onto the gas block if you just want the Krinkov/Galil-style sight and don't want to remove the block.

post-13741-1241716723_thumb.jpg

Great info.

Let us know how that works out for you.

-Bryan

-Bryan

You don't need to justify doing what you want to your gun to anyone, period. I think it'll look cool. I know Cobra's does.