I just bought a brand new Saiga .308, just out of the box. Took it to the range and loaded the 8 rd. Mag with .308 PMC.

The issue(s):

According to the instructions I put in the mag, then put the lever to fire. I pulled the handle, and it wouldn't pull past the clip. So I ejected the mag, pulled the handle all the way back, reinserted the mag, and released the handle. A round fed. I aimed and pulled the trigger....nothing. I cycled the bolt, the unfired round ejected and a new one fed. I held the rifle at the hip and pulled the trigger, it fired. Alright cool, right? Nope, I pulled again and nothing, tried cycling the bolt again, nothing. Any ideas?

I just bought a brand new Saiga .308, just out of the box. Took it to the range and loaded the 8 rd. Mag with .308 PMC.

The issue(s):

According to the instructions I put in the mag, then put the lever to fire. I pulled the handle, and it wouldn't pull past the clip. So I ejected the mag, pulled the handle all the way back, reinserted the mag, and released the handle. A round fed. I aimed and pulled the trigger....nothing. I cycled the bolt, the unfired round ejected and a new one fed. I held the rifle at the hip and pulled the trigger, it fired. Alright cool, right? Nope, I pulled again and nothing, tried cycling the bolt again, nothing. Any ideas?

To make sure it's not a mag issue, I would pull it out and feed a round into the chamber by hand. Then let the bolt carrier fly and aim and fire. If it fires and ejects every time, you know it's a mag.

So when you pull the trigger does the hammer release and stike the firing pin ?

Once the mag is in, I can manually cycle the whole clip fine, it does not stick, upon pulling the bolt back the round ejects, and upon release it feeds a new round. When I pull the trigger the hammer does not fall and the firing pin does not strike the primer, therefore, not firing the bullet from the rifle. Its kind of like the bolt isn't cocking the hammer when I cycle it.

The manual probably tells me how to fix this issue, but, I can't read or write Russian.

" Its kind of like the bolt isn't cocking the hammer when I cycle it." with the cover off cycle the bolt and see if the hammer stays down if it does not then the catch is not catching the hammer or take a picture :}

have you ever owned one of these wepons before or do you know much about them ?

Not trying to get smart or any thing just trying to make this easyer

I have never owned or used an AK/SKS/SVT or anything of that type. My experience is with the AR-15, what might be messing me up is that I am trying to operate and troubleshoot the Saiga in the same manner as an AR.

I see ok well unload the wepon make shure hte bolt is forward as if you are going to fire push the button on the rear of the gun and remove the cover and you will notice the hammer and trigger assembly and fire the wepon and see if you can notice if mabie the safty leaver is still catching the trigger group notch or if the hammer is releasing is it hitting the pin

post-17989-1242535010_thumb.jpg

post-17989-1242535020_thumb.jpg

post-17989-1242535032_thumb.jpg

post-17989-1242535045_thumb.jpg

Ok so when the hammer releases it will fire but the problem you are having is the trigger is not releasing far enough if you take out hte main spring if you look where you pushed hte button to get the cover off it will push all the way out of the slot take out the spring lay it aside and remove the bolt it just pulls all the way back and lifts out being that is not your problem we dont have to worry about this and try to get a good shot of the trigger and try and make it duplicate the action you are having and if you want to make anouther vid and get a shot directly into the chamber with out the spring and bolt there so you dont have to worry about that you can push the hammer back down by hand

Well i was looking into mine and pretty much as long as there is nothing wrong or broken if you take out the fire control group take a dremel and polish the hammer and the catch for the trigger so that there is no rough edges unlike the nice stamped out ar,s these things are built kinda rough there are a few things you can do with a dremel to polish and sand off any rough edges where the bolt rides on the edges and where the hammer catches the trigger every one I have built or owned I have always taken them down sanded and polished these parts before even firing the gun cause unless its broke its gona shoot. Ill be on for about anouhter hour playing COD4

is his video.

It really looks like that the safety lever on the passenger side of the gun (the big bar that you slide up and down) isn't all the way in the down spot.

Make sure that the safety lever is ALL the way down as far as it can go.

Edit: Nevermind. After rewatching the video, it looks like that the safety bar is all the way down properly.

Edited by bobotech
I was able to post a quick vid on youtube, it is labled as Saiga Alaska, and shows what I am doing.

OK, so troubleshoot this further, remove the recoil spring and bolt carrier with the bolt. Now, holding the hammer with your finger, pull the trigger - don't let the hammer strike the center support when it actually releases. Watch for all of the movements of the fire control group as you pull the trigger. You should be able to see where the impediment is. It could simply be that you need to break it in or polish some parts. Could be safety tab is too close to the trigger legs - just watch carefully.

No problem but there is not a whole lot to be afraid of on these they are built pretty stout Ive got over 5k in rounds threw my 7.62x39 I keep it in the back of the truck I have not exactly cleaned it in uhh the past 2000 rounds still shoots :} these are pretty well built guns not a whole lot you can screw up on em just gota get some information on em if you are unshure. Glad to hear its doing fine