Has anyone modified or even opened up a kobra sight? I want to add a pressure switch on mine right on the rear of my pistol grip. I hate the on/off knob and don't want to fumble with it in a high stress situation.

I have one of these http://www.midwesthuntersoutlet.com/item.aspx?pid=67385

along with one of these http://www.midwesthuntersoutlet.com/item/6...bly__69130.aspx

I trimmed down the remote door/switch assembly so that it can be glued flush to the back of the sight with one ton epoxy. I think it will look nice on the rear end of the cobra, plus you can easily dissconect the pressure switch when you remove the sight from the gun.

I just can't figure out how to get to the power relay inside the kobra. I thought it would be an easy soldering job, but I can't get the damn thing open without damaging it.

Any ideas, tips??

Has anyone modified or even opened up a kobra sight? I want to add a pressure switch on mine right on the rear of my pistol grip. I hate the on/off knob and don't want to fumble with it in a high stress situation.

along with one of these http://www.midwesthuntersoutlet.com/item/6...bly__69130.aspx

I trimmed down the remote door/switch assembly so that it can be glued flush to the back of the sight with one ton epoxy. I think it will look nice on the rear end of the cobra, plus you can easily dissconect the pressure switch when you remove the sight from the gun.

I just can't figure out how to get to the power relay inside the kobra. I thought it would be an easy soldering job, but I can't get the damn thing open without damaging it.

Any ideas, tips??

You are right, the switch on the Kobra is crap. I have one that is broken off, and there are no spare parts available.

The switch that you see on the Kobra is actually a separate little cam that then pushes a button inside which is a small momentary reed switch. The other switches on the right side, like the rocker and the reticle button work the same way. There are 4 reed switches in a row and they appear to be imbedded in some kind of epoxy. So you are right, they are not coming out with out being destroyed.

It might be possible to dremel open the surface of the on/off reed switch and gut it. Then, you should be able to solder your leads onto the lugs in there. It will either work great, or end up as a $300 paperweight.

If you are successful, then you can sell me that little cam piece, and I can turn my $300 paperweight back into a rifle sight.

Any ideas, tips??

You are right, the switch on the Kobra is crap. I have one that is broken off, and there are no spare parts available.

The switch that you see on the Kobra is actually a separate little cam that then pushes a button inside which is a small momentary reed switch. The other switches on the right side, like the rocker and the reticle button work the same way. There are 4 reed switches in a row and they appear to be imbedded in some kind of epoxy. So you are right, they are not coming out with out being destroyed.

It might be possible to dremel open the surface of the on/off reed switch and gut it. Then, you should be able to solder your leads onto the lugs in there. It will either work great, or end up as a $300 paperweight.

If you are successful, then you can sell me that little cam piece, and I can turn my $300 paperweight back into a rifle sight.

Thanks, I want to go about it a different way though. What I'm thinking is leaving the power switch (cam) always on, and tapping the hot lead of the batteries for my pressure switch. The problem I'm running into is getting this thing apart. It isn't easy, and now I am going to have to drill out a screw that just won't back out. I'm guessing there must be a nut on the other end. I'm afraid i'm going to tear it up pulling it apart.

Edited by thisoneis4u

Your idea is good, but I think the Kobra is not designed to be taken apart. You can always run the wire exposed underneath and then coat it with epoxy and paint it black.

But you should take off the switch knob and take out the cam thing. Then put a spacer in there to keep the button depressed, and close off the hold where the switch was.

• 4 weeks later...

Well finally got it opened up and completed. Here are some pics. Sorry about the quality. It works great! Saves battery life and much more useful of a sight now. No fumbling with that awkward on/off switch. Can be quickly removed via the plug off the gun. I had to drill out one of the screws, turns out there is a nut on the other end holding down a circuit board.

post-17682-1245163123_thumb.jpg

post-17682-1245163144_thumb.jpg

post-17682-1245163164_thumb.jpg