Jamming...Feeding Issue

So this weekend I was able to take my conversion down to the range. I'm 90% completed...all I need to do is wait for the bullet guide to arrive and also the barrel threding kit.

While using the stock Saiga mag, I was able to get 2-3 shots off and then a jam would occur. This would happen over and over again...I'm not sure if it's the mag, cheapo rounds or what.

3 things of note:

1) When I pull the bolt back and forth (dry fire), you can feel the bolt having to go over the "hammer hump" of the Tapco G2. Originally before the conversion I was able to push it back and forth and not feel a thing after the initial pull which would cock the hammer.

2) Many times after I let go of the bolt from the rear, it will not fully "close". you have to manually push it in. I'm not sure what is causing this. Pics are included.

3) Pics of the jam that occurs. I've tried to release the bolt in slow motion to see what happens and for one reason or another sometimes the round to too far down in the mag that the bolt only scrapes the top of the round thus not grabbing a round. I think the jam occurs when it does this but when the bolt barely catches the round but doesn't have a good enough grip/placement so thus it flies loose.

Anyone else experience this problem or have any info on a fix? I'm hoping that it is a mag/bullet guide problem but if not it will really suck. Should I try to "shave off" a little off the top of the trigger hump? Perhaps this would help?

post-18130-1243223502_thumb.jpg

post-18130-1243223516_thumb.jpg

post-18130-1243223526_thumb.jpg

post-18130-1243223535_thumb.jpg

Here are more pics. In testing it out more I unfortunately think I know the cause. In preparation for the bullet guide/30 round mag to be used I filed down the mag release lever to allow the real mag to fit. I might've filed down the wrong section too much. The 30 round mag wiggles 2-3mm while the saiga mag wiggles around close to 5-7mm. I think this is enough wiggle room to effect the bolt not being able to catch a round...

Assuming this is the cause, what realistic options do I have? Are there places that can weld metal back onto the mag release lever so I can dremel it again from scratch? :cryss:

post-18130-1243275016_thumb.jpg

post-18130-1243275027_thumb.jpg

post-18130-1243275037_thumb.jpg

post-18130-1243275047_thumb.jpg

post-18130-1243275058_thumb.jpg

post-18130-1243275075_thumb.jpg

post-18130-1243275086_thumb.jpg

post-18130-1243275098_thumb.jpg

post-18130-1243275109_thumb.jpg

post-18130-1243275117_thumb.jpg

Terrific...well does anyone know where I can buy the lever part and replace it? Regular places don't have that part in inventory.

If you have any access to a welder you can add material and file it back down to the proper fit.

I'm not much of a machinist. I'm sure if I paid someone it would cost a pretty penny too. I actually found the 2 parts needed through kvar. I guess the official name is "magazine catch". So the fix would mean that I would need to drill out the existing pin, remove the part, replace the part, put in a new pin and hope that it doesn't somehow come loose. Fun.

Terrific...well does anyone know where I can buy the lever part and replace it? Regular places don't have that part in inventory.

If you have any access to a welder you can add material and file it back down to the proper fit.

I'm not much of a machinist. I'm sure if I paid someone it would cost a pretty penny too. I actually found the 2 parts needed through kvar. I guess the official name is "magazine catch". So the fix would mean that I would need to drill out the existing pin, remove the part, replace the part, put in a new pin and hope that it doesn't somehow come loose. Fun.

You may still have the same problem after installing the new magazine catch. They are longer on the saiga so that a standard AK mag will not lock up without modifications. The replacement catch is for standard AK rifles and may not be long enough for the factory saiga mag to lock up right. Before you go through the trouble of swapping them out take a measurement from the pin to bottom of each mag catch and see how much they vary.

Crap....yeah you might be right. But shouldn't all these "measurements and dimensions" be the same? I mean one AK's dimensions would have to be the same as another if we are allowed to mod and put new parts in 'em. Yeah maybe I'll send some emails out to verify the length...but that's the thing....if this catch is too short I can't readily find a "Saiga" mag catch.