CDNN has 22" 308s in now

• 4 weeks later...
Any particular reason to buy a 308 versus the other models. I own an SKS and SAR1 and want some variation in shooting experience so thougth the 308 would be added fiorepower.

The 308 is more along the lines of a hunting/sniping rifle. If you want to convert it, you can. The 308 is a 7.62x51 or 7.62 NATO. I can reach out and touch someone or something. It is more accurate and your shooting experience will more along the lines of a marksman than a grunt.

slingingbull, you should definitely get the 308 Siaga! I have some AKs in 762x39, and the 308 in the AK style action is a great addition, alot more power. I always thought a high powered AK would be great, and the Saiga for the price is magnificent.

The 308 in wood is still pretty far off from looking like a dragonuv, but it is probably as close as you will get for under $500. Have you seen the 308 Veprs? They are closer looking, but pretty far off still, and much more expensive for not much more gun, if any. I have a x39 Vepr, and it is super nice and well finished, but doesnt function any better than a Saiga or an SAR. Regarding the Vepr 308, the mags are $40 each for 10rders!!!

Here are the Veprs if you havent seen them:

http://www.robarm.com/

I think the 308s start around $600, or maybe a tad more. My 762x39 was $550.

Get a wood Saiga, you wont regret it!

• 9 months later...
Thanks for the input. One further question, will the 308 with a scope and bipod be a reasonable clone of the legendary dragonuv sniper? I realize the Dragunov uses 7.63x54r but wanted your insights into creating a Saigunov weapon using 308 as the punch.

I did the very thing which you are contemplating; here is my "Saigunov:"

7098saigunov.jpg

I did this .308 Saiga conversion almost three years ago, and coined the "Saigunov" term about that time. It wears a 6X PSO scope. I like to think of it as a Dragunov updated for the 21st century. It will bust the 400 yard gong dead center with Aussie F4 surplus, and bust up claybirds on the berm beneath the gong. Boringly accurate, but still fun.

I get a lot of "WTF is THAT?" at the range, too. Coolness factor is off-scale.

Noah