Question on Tapco Gas Piston Install

I've been in the process of converting my Saiga. I made my own bullet guide, installed the Tapco trigger group, added new USA butt stock & pistol grip, new gas tube and some other mods which I could call hillbilly engineering (I can say that, since I live in the Ozarks). But I ran into a slight problem and need some advice before I proceed any further.

I started my Tapco gas piston conversion. Drilled the dimples, removed the original piston and was able to screw the new one in with no problem. Here's the issue, the threads on the Tapco barely go 2 threads past the rear edge of the hole where the dimples were. If I try to drill through and add a pin like you're supposed to, I'll barely have any material to the rear of the pin hole on the gas piston.

A couple options I thought about doing:

1. Drill new holes closer to the end of the carrier (where the piston screws in) perpendicular to the original holes (for strength) and install the pin

2. Use Red Loctite on the threads & solder in the exsisting holes to catch the threads (the easiest way)

3. Grind off the front part of the carrier back to let the piston go into the hole further (not something I really want to do) so I would have more meat of the piston behind the pin hole

Any input would be appreciated. Also the Tapco piston is a good 1/8" longer than the original piston. Has anyone had problems with it going into the gas block too far and covering the hole.

Thanks for the help