The First Saiga 12 shot

Well I fired by Saiga12 for the first time tonight. I actually bought the gun based on the feedback from the forum. I was really happy with the reduced recoil compared to a standard shotgun. I was bracing myself when I pu a slug in but was presently suprised.

I know the answers to the next questions lurk somewhere in the forum but I hope you don't mind if I just list them now:

According to the paperwork the gun was manufactured in 2000. Also the instructions state to put the loaded magazine into the gun with the safety on and the bolt forward. Is this true I was really having difficulty doing this. I had to hold the bolt back and insert the magazine. I also tried pulling the bolt back and putting the safety on but that didnt hold the bolt back either....any advice?

The gun shot a little low and I couldn't fathom out how to alter the sights (not in manual). There is a little wheel on the front..what is this?

Just getting all the bits together for the conversion. Also had a question on this on another post but didn't receive an answer. It was relating to the conversion i nstructions step 8 . I assume this is not applicable for the shotgun.

Thanks in advance.

There is a little hole behind the wheel (for adjusting elevation). There is a safety catch to make sure the wheel doesn't spin in the field... stick something in there and then spin the wheel.

I also had problems loading in a loaded mag... it takes practice... push it in and forward... then pull it back... just keep trying and trying... maybe try minus one round in the mag until you get used to it.

It was hard to get used to..myself...especially chase'n a herd of Texas Blue quail across the West Texas SandHills....got a lot easier when I finally bought a S12 witha factory BHO button on the lower part of the reciever...

Gazza..if yours don't have the BHO from the Factory..Are you aware you can purchase the one on the safety??..or notch it yourself with a dremel.. :smoke:

..Gaza...The Safety with the "BHO" notch cut into the top of it is available from several GunSmiths..www.eliteGuns.net Or It maybe EliteFireArms.net Not sure but the Owner is Dave Michener..He sells them.He's also done Conversions on SAiga 12s like mine that have the little "BHO" button from the Factory @ the bottom of the reciever..Of which I prefer..because I can easily make the Bolt stay back even when firing..with just a bit a presure from my Trigger finger.../.Firefly..& Elite says the BHO is not affected by the FCG install...From personal experience on my own guns.. :smoke:

I think MakC the CO of this forum used to sell one like the factory..Used to be a pic of it on the Intro Parts&Accessories.. ..Even gives a diagram of it ..with the spring..