Pistol grip with foldable buttstock- Import

Hi all,

I browsed through most of the threads but for some reason, could not find one relating to my question. I know that Tennessee Guns used to import a foldable buttstock with pistol grip made of steel from Russia. I understand that foldable buttstocks as well as pistol grips are "evil features", however this features allows for a nice accessory to any Saiga type rifle and does not require shifting the trigger group to the middle. Does anyone know why they stopped importing them? Is there any legal issues with importing this product? Anyone know ATF take on this item? Why all the questions- we have access to this type of products for importation- hence the questions about legality etc...

• 1 month later...

To the best of my knowledge, evil features no longer matter due to the Assualt Weapons Ban being lifted. What you would have to worry about would be 922r. From what I can tell (I could be wrong on this one, but I dont think so), even if you placed the imported folding stock/pistol grip, you would need to comply with 922r. If you used said stock, you would need to change out some other parts in order to be compliant.

As imported, a Saiga needs 4 US made parts to be at the 10 part limit for compliance. Since you are adding a pistol grip that was not made in the US of A, that brings your total US made parts needed total up to 5.

Some possibile options for compliance parts could be:

1. Change out mags to a US made mag (3 US made parts), handguard (1 US made Part), and a gas puck (1 US made part).

2. Change out Fire Control Group (3 US parts), handguard (1 US part), gas puck (1 US part).

3. Change out Fire Control Group (3 US parts), and switch to US made mags (3 US parts), and call it a day.