Just got my SGL20

I'm excited! She really is nice looking and lightweight. Balance is perfect. Workmanship appears to be spot on. Hell, I even like the circle 10 mag she came with. Maybe I won't bother with steel mags after all. Everything is extremely tight. I had a little trouble removing the dust cover to inspect her insides. When compared to my other Saigas, this rifle appears to have parts that are a little cleaner (smoother) and of a slightly tighter tolerance. The bullet guide surprised me though. She protrudes outwards towards the mag. I didn't have a chance to cycle any rounds, but based on the 25 meter target that came with her, I'd say she fired everything without any problems. I'll try and take some pics tonight and post them (if I can figure out how, never done it.).

Broker her down again during lunch and noticed one thing that immediately got my attention. No firing pin spring. Is this a hungover Russian on Monday morning mistake, or are the 7.62 x 39's not built with one? I've always admired the fact that both my 223 and 308 Saigas have firing pin springs as an added safety measure. I'm very surprised not to see them on the 7.62 x 39. Could you guys check your rifles for fp springs/no springs. I wonder if it's possible to install one like I did on my SKS?

Broker her down again during lunch and noticed one thing that immediately got my attention. No firing pin spring. Is this a hungover Russian on Monday morning mistake, or are the 7.62 x 39's not built with one? I've always admired the fact that both my 223 and 308 Saigas have firing pin springs as an added safety measure. I'm very surprised not to see them on the 7.62 x 39. Could you guys check your rifles for fp springs/no springs. I wonder if it's possible to install one like I did on my SKS?

Id ask stuff like this in the 7.62x39 section of the forum. The SGL-20 is a saiga after all.

By the way on the SGL20 SGL21 and the new SGL31 the firing pin is floating. :smoke:

Yeah, I've done some checking and they are all floating. That's fine. They seem to be a very light and low inertia pin, so I'm not worried about slam fires. Not only that, I always clean my rifles after I get back from the range, so crud in the pin should not be a problem either. I'm very happy with this rifle. Gotta go now, got a father-in law in the hospital that I got to go see.

Got an e-mail back from Arsenal regarding the firing pin spring (or lack of). They say that none of the Saiga 7.62 x 39 rifles are built with an FP spring. So that settles that. No big deal as mentioned before.