weight of the Saiga 7.62x39

The Russian American Armory site says that the Saiga 7.62x39 model weighs 3.8 kg, or 8.37 lbs. Mine, an unconverted 20 inch barrel version, seems to be lighter. With weapon in hand, I stepped on the scale (an electronic one that measures to the nearest pound) and the Saiga only adds 7 lbs to my weight (from 199 to 206). Is the scale likely wrong, or are the rifles actually lighter than listed on the website? (I know, it's a strange question, but humor me).

The stock X39 with 16" barrel weighs about 7.5lbs IIRC.

I just weighed mine (converted) with an ACE ultra light stock, Ultimak tube rail, Houge grip, Fast Fire, Fenix TA20/LaRue mount. and it came in at 7lbs. 15oz. It was weighed on a percision scale that measures to 1/8oz.

The stock X39 with 16" barrel weighs about 7.5lbs IIRC.

I just weighed mine (converted) with an ACE ultra light stock, Ultimak tube rail, Houge grip, Fast Fire, Fenix TA20/LaRue mount. and it came in at 7lbs. 15oz. It was weighed on a percision scale that measures to 1/8oz.

Thanks Paladin. Sounds like the Russian American Armory site is in error, strangely enough.

Where did you get the info that the stock X39 should weigh 7.5 lbs, by the way? And, on another subject, how do you like the ultra light stock? A lighter gun is appealing to me, but I'm afraid my 20 inch barrel version might be too front end heavy with it.

Jim

Edited by Jim Digriz

Sorry to revive a thread, but where did you get your 20 inch barrel saiga, and if you don't mind, how much did it set you back? Any more accurate than a 16 incher?

Also, It might be the weight that the site says LOADED. x39 is not a light load, especially in a 30 round mag if your using it.

Edited by 1337cshacker
Sorry to revive a thread, but where did you get your 20 inch barrel saiga, and if you don't mind, how much did it set you back? Any more accurate than a 16 incher?

I got it from a well-rated dealer on gunbroker.com for $395. After shipping and FFL costs, I ended up paying close to $460. That was about two months ago, maybe a bit less. At the time, I was seeing the 16-inch barrel versions going for about $50 dollars less.

Any more accurate? Not sure. I don't have the 16-inch barrel, so I can't compare. Also, I'm a fairly inexperienced shooter, so it wouldn't be good to generalize from what I can manage. Nonetheless, I've been pleased with it so far. When I install the Tech Sights, I'll have 26 inches of sight radius. Hopefully that will be good for some more accuracy. However, in retrospect, I would probably get the shorter one if I had it to do again, just so it would be more wieldy for CQB.

Also, It might be the weight that the site says LOADED. x39 is not a light load, especially in a 30 round mag if your using it.

The site says without magazines or accessories.

Jim