converting mags

Are there any magazines that can be converted for use in the Saiga .223 that do not require making adjustments to the rifle thus preventing use of the factory Saiga mags?

If you add a feed ramp to standard '74 mags with a strong epoxy ie JB weld (reinforcing with steel is a good idea), and then copying the profile of the factory mag you wont need to add a feedramp and you can still use factory mags. They may be loose side to side but they are what most folk use along with a modded follower and feed lips.

I modded the Orlite Gallil mags for mine and they seem to fit well except for slight play at the mag catch (they can rock back and forth a bit). I won't know how they work until after the next range trip but they look to be good to go so far. The slop isn't any worse than any of my other AK's.

The same idea goes for any other AK mag you might try to fit to a saiga.

Most people do the feedramp bit which since I haven't run thousands of rounds through any of my modified mags to see how they hold up is probably the most reliable way of using other than factory mags in a Saiga. I did the same thing to some EG '74 mags for a 223 NHM 90 and they are still going strong so I is worth a try. :smoke:

There is also a legality question of modifying mags for those who worry about compliance. If you make it so the mag won't work in what it was made for you are manufacturing Hicap mags illegally. Just something to be aware of. I think the ramp on the mag as long as it clears the bolt would not keep it from working in a AK-74 anyway.