If you know of a good non-folding AK buttstock that is lighter than the (11 ounce) factory buttstock, please post it here. I'll be converting my wife's 5.45, and I need to reduce the final rifle weight a little from the unconverted weight.

I initially had in mind the Tapco six position adjustable stock, but Tapco tells me that it weighs 12.8 ounces. Kudos to them, though, for rapidly responding to my query.

Thanks.

Jim

If you know of a good non-folding AK buttstock that is lighter than the (11 ounce) factory buttstock, please post it here. I'll be converting my wife's 5.45, and I need to reduce the final rifle weight a little from the unconverted weight.

I initially had in mind the Tapco six position adjustable stock, but Tapco tells me that it weighs 12.8 ounces. Kudos to them, though, for rapidly responding to my query.

Thanks.

Jim

Also, can anyone tell me what style of stock this is (so I can search Google for something like it):

VEPR%20KTR%20.223%20RS.jpg

It's a picture of a VEPR, but I handled another AK at the gunshow this weekend with a similar stock (but that connected to a normal shaped receiver). The stock was so light-but-solid feeling, I thought it might be a good candidate for my wife's gun. U.S. or foreign made, it doesn't matter. I can always change out the handguard (and probably will anyway).

Jim

It looks like a lot like a non-folding Galil stock. Tapco makes them in folding versions.

Here's another example, although they call it a "SWAT STYLE BUTTSTOCK":

ak47-cio.jpg

http://goldismoney.info/forums/showthread.php?t=348885

Not to derail the thread too much I hope. I'd like to find out what this is, but I'm open to all kinds of suggestions.

Jim

Thanks.

Jim

Also, can anyone tell me what style of stock this is (so I can search Google for something like it):

VEPR%20KTR%20.223%20RS.jpg

It's a picture of a VEPR, but I handled another AK at the gunshow this weekend with a similar stock (but that connected to a normal shaped receiver). The stock was so light-but-solid feeling, I thought it might be a good candidate for my wife's gun. U.S. or foreign made, it doesn't matter. I can always change out the handguard (and probably will anyway).

Jim

Jim,

That is a Vepr stock, and was produced buy Robinson Arms for their imports. It will not fit on standard saiga receivers(though it may work on "M" models).

Edited by bigsal