MD20 shell size question

Regarding the length of the 2 3/4" rounds I know that Mike has set 2.40". A friend brought some RIO Royal Star Hi Power Slugs. I thought I read that these did not work in the MD20. They all loaded fine then failed to eject, thinking that I confirmed that they work I switched them to a Surefire mag then same problem. So I change the gunfixr from -1 to +1 and they functioned fine. Too bad I didn't do that while in the drum.

My question is simply this: if the rounds will load in the drum is that the determining factor as to length? If so I can update the MD20 Ammo Table post below.

BTW: I need more feedback on the table so I can make it a good resource, please help with some posts!

The shells need to move perfectly freely with no binding going both in & out.

On the Wolf 00 I bought, some of them would fit in the drum but I think that was only due to me slightly angling them in.

They almost fit, not quite. They would hang up trying to pop them out manually. You should be able to push them off and

out of the feed stack with a straight push of the finger just like the bolt does it.

You sure on that 2.40" spec? ....... that's under 2 -1/2". The shells that fit my drum have measured very close to 2.75".

I'll have to see if I can find the manual and see if Mike has the length spec in there.

EDIT: I lied on the measured at 2.75" thing.... that's what I remembered at the time though....

Edited by Spartacus

On the Wolf 00 I bought, some of them would fit in the drum but I think that was only due to me slightly angling them in.

They almost fit, not quite. They would hang up trying to pop them out manually. You should be able to push them off and

out of the feed stack with a straight push of the finger just like the bolt does it.

You sure on that 2.40" spec? ....... that's under 2 -1/2". The shells that fit my drum have measured very close to 2.75".

I'll have to see if I can find the manual and see if Mike has the length spec in there.

Positive! I read it on Mike's FAQ page. I copied for you:

Q: Does this drum take all 2 3/4 inch 12ga rounds? 3 inch rounds?

A: No. Our mag will take the very most of 2 3/4 inch rounds up to 2.40 inches in length. Some 2 3/4 inch rounds such as roll crimped Wolf and steel cased Silver Bear or too long to fit at 2.50 inches or 2 1/2 inches. This drum will not accept 3 inch mag rounds and can in no way be modified to fit them.

Positive! I read it on Mike's FAQ page. I copied for you:

Q: Does this drum take all 2 3/4 inch 12ga rounds? 3 inch rounds?

A: No. Our mag will take the very most of 2 3/4 inch rounds up to 2.40 inches in length. Some 2 3/4 inch rounds such as roll crimped Wolf and steel cased Silver Bear or too long to fit at 2.50 inches or 2 1/2 inches. This drum will not accept 3 inch mag rounds and can in no way be modified to fit them.

Doh!

You are correct sir!

Just took a Winchester 00 shell and measured it on a 10ths scale inch ruler..... right about 2.35.

I always assumed the 2 3/4 inch spec meant the finished length of the shell, it must mean the length of the empty shell before it's rolled/crimped.

That explains things a bit.

I might just consult Mr.Google to see what the published spec is on shell size.

...it must mean the length of the empty shell before it's rolled/crimped.

Correct. This is why roll-crimped shells are longer than the regular ones.

Noob question: I know what the star crimp is but is everything else a roll crimp? Not sure I know what the roll looks like!

Back to my original post: if the shell easily loads in the MD20 does that confirm it is the correct length and will work OR must we rely on 2.40". I just purchased some Federal 00 that is about 2.429999.

• 10 months later...