20.5" verses 16.3" Barrel?

Can anyone speak to the advantages (or disadvantages) of the longer barrel (20.5")in the .223? I am interested in knowing more about accuracy, ballistics, rate of twist etc.. I would like to maximize my range and trajectory, ballistic coeffiecent etc., but am not sure if the 4" barrel length difference is even worth comment on an AK platform.

Can anyone speak to the advantages (or disadvantages) of the longer barrel (20.5")in the .223? I am interested in knowing more about accuracy, ballistics, rate of twist etc.. I would like to maximize my range and trajectory, ballistic coeffiecent etc., but am not sure if the 4" barrel length difference is even worth comment on an AK platform.

These things been debated over and over on this forum, and to my knowledge no definitive answers have emerged about them. This much is certain, however: The shorter version is lighter and more wieldy. I have the longer barrel for the 7.62x39, while my wife's 5.45 rifle has the shorter barrel. I wish I'd gotten the shorter one for my own rifle.

To start with ballistic coefficient is a property of the projectile and not the barrel length. You won't be changing it unless you change bullet designs. A bullet with a high BC will travel farther than one with a low BC since it will retain its velocity better as it travels downrange from the muzzle.

Rate of twist has little to do with the barrel length but should be selected based on the weight of the bullet you intend to shoot. Slower twists work well with lighter weight bullets while a faster twist is needed to stabilize a heaver bullet.

Given all other cartridge components being the same, a longer barrel (up to a point) will give you higher velocities. I've chronographed the same load in my Saiga .223 and Remington 788 .223. The 788 has about 6 more inches of barrel. The velocity difference was well over 300 FPS higher in the 788. In fact, I was getting high pressure primer indications in the 788 with the same load that showed no such problems in the Saiga. Powder choice makes all the difference in the world in these situations.

My choice to purchase my Saiga .223 was not based on its accuracy or down range performance. It was bought because it can be thrown into the back of my Jeep, along with a few supplies, and it will most likely run on any .223 or 5.56 ammo that gets tossed in with it, even in the worst of conditions. It has a purpose and that is it.

To start with ballistic coefficient is a property of the projectile and not the barrel length. You won't be changing it unless you change bullet designs. A bullet with a high BC will travel farther than one with a low BC since it will retain its velocity better as it travels downrange from the muzzle.

Rate of twist has little to do with the barrel length but should be selected based on the weight of the bullet you intend to shoot. Slower twists work well with lighter weight bullets while a faster twist is needed to stabilize a heaver bullet.

Given all other cartridge components being the same, a longer barrel (up to a point) will give you higher velocities. I've chronographed the same load in my Saiga .223 and Remington 788 .223. The 788 has about 6 more inches of barrel. The velocity difference was well over 300 FPS higher in the 788. In fact, I was getting high pressure primer indications in the 788 with the same load that showed no such problems in the Saiga. Powder choice makes all the difference in the world in these situations.

My choice to purchase my Saiga .223 was not based on its accuracy or down range performance. It was bought because it can be thrown into the back of my Jeep, along with a few supplies, and it will most likely run on any .223 or 5.56 ammo that gets tossed in with it, even in the worst of conditions. It has a purpose and that is it.