Converted my Saiga 223...and I'm glad I did!

Got together today with a friend who is a great mechanic and fabricator. 4 hours later (I had to run off for an hour and do "family" stuff), my Saiga 223 was converted...just a couple of small tweaks needed.

Still need to:

[*]Install the FCG retaining plate I ordered today (I'm re-using the spring right now and it's held in place by a drilled out pin),

[*]Get out and shoot the gun to be sure it's functioning properly,

[*]Paint the bottom of the receiver,

[*]Install a Galil style front handguard,

[*]Paint all plastic parts with Krylon Fusion and bake it on.

I won't rehash the basics of a conversion. However, here's what I found...

[*]The spot weld must be made from German tank armor (someone else said that, I agree). It was a job to get it drilled!

[*]I cut the BHO a hair too short. When it is pushed in to catch the bolt, it's darn near flush with the receiver.

[*]Had to add a bushing to the folding stock mechanism to disable it or it would have been an "illegal" length. I'll change the brass collar to a plastic or polymer when I get ready to paint.

[*]The maglock is pretty basic and not really that great (it does the job, though). If anyone has suggestions and links for a high quality maglock, please let me know!

[*]Black nylon plugs from Ace Hardware look just like rivet heads! 25 cents each.

Overall, I'm thrilled that this is done. It was fun, a little challenging (everything good usually is) and turned out pretty decently. The improvement in trigger quality is worth the effort all by itself!

My buddy Rick deserves a huge thank you. His skill was invaluable!

Here are my pictures...I'll add info to them later this evening.

http://s909.photobucket.com/albums/ac292/sherm2954/

SOMEONE! Please help me with attaching photos! Thanks

Edited by sherm2954
  • 4 weeks later...