Hey guys, im new to this, i need to know what exactly is involved in doing a pistol grip conversion on my Saiga - .308? I just need to know if there is any Crazy Modifications like welding and so forth, i've been looking at Tapco for a butt stock and i need to know preferably what parts are recomended as well.

Any help would be appreciated, And keep yourself yourselves safe shooting out there! :super:

I'd go with that series of videos for the conversion. If I remember the .308/7.62 are the same to convert.. I actually used that video for my first conversion (S12) and it did the trick.. even though there are a couple of differences.. but should be ok or .308

as for the parts you need:

FCG

Retainer plate

Pistol grip nut

- all I can think off of the top of my head.. Watch the video and make sure you've got everything I guess.

Should be able to find them on most of the sponsored websites around here.

edit: and make sure you stay 922r compliant.. You should be in the clear as long as you use american mags and a an american stock or handguard.. Think that would put it into compliance but I'd double check.

Edited by volkov

I was EXTREMELY nervous doing my first conversion which just so happened to be last week and it was my brand spankin new 22 inch .308. Heres the skinny. First check inside to see if the bottom of your receiver has the pistol grip square hole already cut. It will be toward the front of the slot that your current trigger comes out of. You have to look inside, you cant see it from the outside. If you have the hole present, then thats one less step. Now decide what type of set-up you want. I went with a PSL/Dragunov style stock, so I didnt need a pistol grip nut and screw. If you go standard pistol grip, you need to decide what style, AK or SAW. They each use a different bolt but the same nut.

Dissambly is pretty straight forward. First field strip your rifle including the stock. Then remove your OEM trigger, there are instruction all over the web for that, very easy. once that is done it is time to remove the bottom plate. There are 2 rivets that you need to grind and 2 spot welds on the "clinton" plate. If you reuse your stock trigger guard then there is 1 spot weld there as well. Once all that is done its pretty much reassemble the rifle.

Its very easy once you get in there and just do it. I actually was converting my .223 earlier this evening. I didnt finish yet, watched "Enemy at the Gates" with the wife. Just have to install the trigger.

Parts you will need are:

Fire Control Group (FCG)- I recommend Dinzags, very easy to install

Stock of your choice

Pistol grip of your choice

Pistol grip nut and screw (if you go saw grip, it comes with the screw)

Trigger guard if you decide NOT to reuse your original

Good luck and ask questions. Alot of guys on here will help you.

the .308 is the easiest to convert. let me know if you need more help. all you have to do is drill off the clinton plate, only remove the pin that holds the trigger in the gun, and drill a pg nut hole(308s dont come with the pg nut hole) its way easier to use the origional trigger guard. just get it off the plate,kinda squeeze it into a U shape, cut about 1/4inch off the back, slide under mag release and rivit the back.it will stay perfect. also, if you get an american trigger, get an american disconnector. the US fcg doesnt need the bushing in it like the russian.(i used US trigger and russian disconnector. had to drill out holes in trigger so bushing would fit. like i said, ya need more help let me know id be glad to send some helpful pics. (i dont mind tearing mine back down lol)

accually the only thing similar to the x39 is that it has the clinton plate. the .308 is like a normal ak they only put an extension on the trigger so that the part you squeeze is further back. thats why the .308 is the most simple to convert.

post-22237-12632889677598_thumb.jpg

you only need the retaining plate if you dont want to use the retaining spring. they say they are easier to use but i have no problem with the spring. are you sure yours has a pg hole? i thaught none of the 308s came with it. well if so lucky you. less work.