Pistol Grip Question

I've been going back and forth for a while on converting my rifle and I've decided to go ahead and do it. I've had most of the parts here for a while but the thought of drilling and grinding on my baby scares me. I'm ready to do it but I don't have the nut for the pistol grip. I ordered the tapco SAW one and I didn't know it does not come with the nut. I have no place within a 2 hour drive that has the nut and don't want to spend the money to just order that from the internet. Is there anything else i can use besides that special nut? Can I use a regular nut with a lockwasher without interfering with the trigger group? Thanks for your help.

I've been going back and forth for a while on converting my rifle and I've decided to go ahead and do it. I've had most of the parts here for a while but the thought of drilling and grinding on my baby scares me. I'm ready to do it but I don't have the nut for the pistol grip. I ordered the tapco SAW one and I didn't know it does not come with the nut. I have no place within a 2 hour drive that has the nut and don't want to spend the money to just order that from the internet. Is there anything else i can use besides that special nut? Can I use a regular nut with a lockwasher without interfering with the trigger group? Thanks for your help.

They're pretty cheap at Carolina Shooters Supply, and they ship quickly. (They seem to ship the day before I order). And you might find some other goodies there to justify doing an Internet order...

The nut in question fits a certain size and shape hole, and is angled just so. A substitute would probably be very loose. A clever person might fashion something that would work, I guess.

Congratulations on your decision to convert your rifle.

Edited by Jim Digriz
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes, a nut, bolt, and washer will work fine. The pistol grip nut has been a problem for me on 7.62 and 5.45 as it is located just under a rivet and I had to file it down both times. Maybe the .223 is similar to the S12 where it is in the open. Anyway, I found the standard pistol grip screw to be too long and narrow for the SAW grip.

Hope this helps.

The top pic is the nut and washer inside the receiver and the bottom one is a very bright flat head bolt and washer inside the grip.

post-14738-12661957292769_thumb.jpg

post-14738-12661957512943_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the help. I think I'll go ahead and start my conversion (maybe tomorrow during the snow storm) and try a regular nut and washer. Did you end up using the bolt that came with the SAW grip? That's the same one I'm using.